AZ Desert Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alvin01

5 Year Member
We adopted an AZ Desert Tortoise on September 15th. He was with another family for the past 25 years. They had been feeding him bananas, cantaloupe and canned green beans. He pooped the day after we got him. Now that we have him, he has only been eating food from the approved list provided by AZ Game & Fish. On the new diet, I have only found a total of 2 tiny bits of green poop in 3 weeks. That's the first thing I am worried about.

We don't have grass in the enclosure yet so I am wondering when I am supposed to stop offering him food? I read somewhere that his digestive system needs to be clear for hibernation. Exactly when should I expect him to hibernate? I live in Gilbert, AZ.

Thank you so much for your help. My daughters really love Alvin and will be heartbroken if he doesn't wake up!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If Alvin lives outside, he'll stop eating on his own. Just continue to treat him as you have been. About 3 weeks before he's ready to go to sleep, he'll stop eating. You'll notice he comes out in the morning and soaks up some sun, then stays in the rest of the day. He'll do this for a couple weeks, then he'll just stay in. At this time in my tortoises' lives, I'll box them up and bring them inside to brumate.

SDDTMama

5 Year Member
Welcome! Do you have any pics of Alvin? I *love* gopherus agassizii!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
does he feel heavy when you pick him up? solid? if not, then consider Not hibernating him.. be sure he gets plenty of water...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I too would love a pic :D Also, how had the prior family cared for him during winter? Did they brumate him indoors or outdoors or at all? Please also keep in mind that change to their world can create stress in a tort and a stressed tort is not the best candidate for brumation (simply my opinion)....you may want to "try" to keep him awake and active this year and plan to get him ready for it next winter...

Alvin01

5 Year Member
Since I first posted, Alvin has had a bowel movement each day. I was feeding him some really long strands of bermuda grass, and I think it was clogging him up.

The previous family said that Alvin has hibernated outside every year. I feel pretty good about letting him hibernate now that I know his system is working fine. Thank you so much everyone for all of your help!

Attachments

• DSC06970.JPG
    DSC06970.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 112

azkeyrealtor

5 Year Member
If he hasn't went into hibernation please take him to Dr. DRIGGERS he's in GILBERT AZ. He'll help you with anything you need. Plus we are required by AZ Game and Fish to get our Torte checked BEFORE each Hibernation.

Alvin01

5 Year Member
azkeyrealtor said:
If he hasn't went into hibernation please take him to Dr. DRIGGERS he's in GILBERT AZ. He'll help you with anything you need. Plus we are required by AZ Game and Fish to get our Torte checked BEFORE each Hibernation.

Do you have a desert tortoise that has hibernated? Do you live in the Phoenix area? Alvin is still out.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
Although mine is still small, mine has not gone into brumation full swing. Food intake and activity level has slowed down, but not halted, and still comes out during the day.

azkeyrealtor

5 Year Member
Yes I live in South Chandler with a beautiful Male about 40 to 50 yrs old. He went into hibernation 2011 Nov. 22nd. This year he went in a week ago. I have a friend Boby T who just went last week and another Sonoran Desert Tortoise that has NOT yet. We all live in South Chandler.

:) :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.