Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I put my baby box turtles outside today. I'm using the same outside habitat that I used last year...a cement mixing tub set into a metal frame (a lucky find) and disguised with painted plywood, covered with hardware cloth.

babyboxturtles-1-1.jpg

babyboxturtles-2-1.jpg

There are three babies in here. One is a Florida that just doesn't seem to grow very fast. He's healthy and looking good, just small for his age. He's coming up on 3 this year, has his hinge already, but is still too small to go in the big boy pen (it really irritates me that my close-up pictures are blurry. ARGH!):

babyboxturtles-3.jpg

And the other two are little three-toes. One is already totally dug in. I wasn't able to find him. But this one is quite visible, even though he thinks he's pretty much hidden:

babyboxturtles-4.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
They are so tiny, very nice photo's Yvonne...

What type of plants are those in the pots next to the enclosure?...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Very cute :) Mine are still indoors, although the adults are out. Still a bit cool here for the babies. I need to build a pen with a locking lid myself, because I can't seem to keep the monster twins (neighbor girls) out of my yard, and last year I had a hatchling Southern Painted come up missing. Don't want to point any fingers, but....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi D'Marcus:

That is my monstrose collection. They are different kinds of cactus and succulents that have grown "monstrose" or crested. Instead of normal growth, they've twisted and crested. Quite beautiful and very different.

crestedcactus-2.jpg

crestedcactus-1.jpg

crestedcactus-3.jpg

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Wow, Yvonne, I have never seen those. I love the succulents myself!! Do they stay out all the time? I can't wait till my plants can go outside on my porch.Thay love it
Oh yes nice little boxes too.
Nay

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I really like the enclosure Yvonne, the babies are so cute :D. I love your monstrose collection, it looks very nice!

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Never Seen A Outdoor Enclosure Like This, Awesome idea :)

M

Maggie Cummings

I wish I could put my babies outside but the sun is gone again and we have rain...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nay said:
Wow, Yvonne, I have never seen those. I love the succulents myself!! Do they stay out all the time? I can't wait till my plants can go outside on my porch.Thay love it
Oh yes nice little boxes too.
Nay

No, about the middle of October I have to lug them all into the greenhouse for the winter. I only just brought them all outside a couple weeks ago.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
nice enclosure. I like the cactus / succulent collection as well. Do you find these, or do they just grow for you this way?

teri

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, you have to buy them. Once in a great while you'll get a normal cactus that sends out a branch that crests, but if you want a monstrose/crested, you usually have to buy it. (I belong to the cactus club and usually buy all my cacti when they have their show/sale.)

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
emysemys said:
No, you have to buy them. Once in a great while you'll get a normal cactus that sends out a branch that crests, but if you want a monstrose/crested, you usually have to buy it. (I belong to the cactus club and usually buy all my cacti when they have their show/sale.)

another club I may have to consider joining..... very beautiful

teri

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Awww baby boxies. Ya gotta love um. That little Three Toed lookes exactly like mine. He goes out in the Christmas Tree storage bin during the day, but I have to take him in at night. I'm still taking my old Ornate in at night too. It goes down to the high 50's here at night. Great little enclosure you've made.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Kristina said:
Very cute :) Mine are still indoors, although the adults are out. Still a bit cool here for the babies. I need to build a pen with a locking lid myself, because I can't seem to keep the monster twins (neighbor girls) out of my yard, and last year I had a hatchling Southern Painted come up missing. Don't want to point any fingers, but....

thats when you put pepper gel on you fence (use patrolium jelly mixed with habanjaro or bird pepper juice) it burns a bit. someone stole my motor bike a few years ago and it was chained to the fence, though i've only had 2 turtles stolen over the years. my babies are outside though they hide i've yet to see them out from under the leaves.

i have a group of eastern prickly pears, a torch of bos cactus (not sure), a varigated agave, and a purple/green (partially reverted to the normal state) african milk tree and a silk floss tree as far as my odd plants go oh and i grow corn, beans, and squash in my back yard (mind that the area is only 12x6'). my yard is only 20x40 if i am remembering right

Status
Not open for further replies.