Baby Cali Desert Tort hibernation?

Tank the great

5 Year Member
Hey guys, I've had a Sulcata for the past 3 months or so and now my brother was given a Gopher Tort by someone at his work. He's a little guy. My Tort doesn't hibernate but I've read that Gopher Torts do. Question is: Should we keep him warm this winter so he doesn't hibernate? Because he seems really little and I feel like he needs to grow a bit. Any help with this little guy would be appreciated.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Keep him up this winter! Warm and cozy and eating, as if he is not a brumating kind of tortoise. That way you can observe and build him up, because you do not know what his health is like, being so new. That is always best with a newbie gopherus. I adopted a way older one about 3 months ago, and I am doing the same thing. No sleepy for you! Keep his light source on 12-14 hours, keep him warm, feed twice a day, do soaks ... yes, definitely, do soaks. You can add baby food (carrot and squash are good) to the warm water, for 15 to 20 minutes under the warm light, supervised. This spa time is awesome for them and keeps them hydrated and helps a whole lot. I learned this tip here on TFO from experts Yvonne and Maggie and I promise you, it's the best tip ever. Oh, and read-read-read ... lots of good stuff to learn. Gopherus are little jewels. You are lucky to get one. Yay! : )

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
Cutie pie! [HEAVY BLACK HEART]️[HEAVY BLACK HEART]️