Baby flipping on back

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellibelli72

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Ok, so my 3 month sulcata keeps flipping over on his back. He did this when I first got him 2 months ago, so I am fortunate enough to have a workplace where I bring him to work with me. I have a set up at home, and one at work. :D
He, of course, stopped flipping over a week after bringing him to work with me. Well, yesterday, he flipped like 6 times at work. And he doesn't even try to flip himself back over. He just looks at me, blinks a few times, and lays there! Am I rushing to his rescue too soon? Should I let him stay that way for a few minutes to get him to try to right himself?
He looks at me with those big, blinking eyes and I can't just let him lay there, right?? LOL

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Is there something in the enclosure that he is climbing that is causing him to flip?

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
My leopard doesnt flop often but did today and couldnt right himself because he kinda got wedged imbetween his hide and enclosure wall. I rearranged it now so make sure to secure the enclosure a bit to make a safer habitat, the important thing is to not create an opportunity for them to flop under the basking light.

Oh i wouldnt recommend leaving them like that, just flop him back.

shellibelli72

5 Year Member
Missouri
kimber_lee_314 said:
Is there something in the enclosure that he is climbing that is causing him to flip?

I don't usually see him do it, but it is mostly against the corner. I have blocked the view so he can't see thru it, so I am not sure what else to do. I couldn't stand the thought of me going to work and coming home to him being flipped all day, possibly dead. So he comes every day with me to work. :)

ckidd_1999

5 Year Member
The only way he can die from it is if he flipped and got wedged between something or if he flipped under the heat lamp and couldn't get up. They can right themselves if u give it time. My baby hasn't flipped yet but I worry too. Just make sure their enclosure doesn't allow them to flip

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
ckidd_1999 said:
The only way he can die from it is if he flipped and got wedged between something or if he flipped under the heat lamp and couldn't get up. They can right themselves if u give it time. My baby hasn't flipped yet but I worry too. Just make sure their enclosure doesn't allow them to flip

This is not right. They can die from just being on their backs. They will die quicker if they flip in an unfortunate spot, like under a heat lamp, but if they cannot right themselves they can die regardless of where they flip.

When they are upside down all their abdominal contents press on their lungs making it difficult to breathe, if they are like that too long, they will suffocate.

Not all torts are able to right themselves. If you actually see him/her flip, I'd give them a couple minutes to "practice" righting themselves. I'd personally I pt be able to wait a minute or two, lol. But, at least let them try.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
U do realize that tortoise can death in his back? So I think u should check on ur enclosure, is there something that he can climb or theres a hole that he can see but can through..

Tort can obsessed to something if they can see over it, they will believe if they kept trying, they will pass it soon.l

ckidd_1999

5 Year Member
Sorry guys. Iv been told lies by a reptile shop tht I thought I could trust. I'm really sorry. I won't be going to tht shop again. Again I'm sorry for misinforming anybody

Status
Not open for further replies.