Baby food soaks

Bird7

My 4 year old tortoise had not been eating or opening her eyes properly for over a week, yesterday I bathed her in a carrot flavoured baby bath and after 45 minutes she was fine, her eyes wide open and eating again. Does anyone know what the problem could of been?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I'm sorry, but you haven't given us enough information for us to be able to help you diagnose what might have been wrong.

He might have been too cold.

What is his species?

He might have needed to eat.

He might have been too dry.

As you can see, we don't know enough to know what was wrong. Maybe a picture would help us, and some info on how your habitat is set up, etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see a pair of russians in your avatar pic. Are your tortoises living as a pair? This is very stressful for them and not a good idea.

What are you using for a UV source? Coil type cfl bulb? These can sometimes damage tortoise eyes. If that is what you are using, I would turn it off ASAP.

Bird7

I bath both tortoises once a week to ensure they don't get dehydrated and the UV bulb is from the pet shop. I have had my first tortoise for 2 years now and bought my second 3 months ago, they don't seem to fight. Here is a picture of their home

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    838.7 KB · Views: 20

HotdogKnight

Southampton, UK
I would think your tort is too dry. I know they generally say Russians are a 'dry species' but that doesn't mean the don't seek humidity. Replacing your substrate (as it looks like sand? - not sure) with something more soil based may help.

Bird7

The substrate I use is soil mixed with sand! Maybe I should purchase ordinary soil would that make a difference?