Baby Greek Update and Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeaceTurtle

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Haven't needed to post a thing in our first 2 weeks of having Sonny because the sweet little guy (until we find out otherwise) is doing everything by the book! He eats, drinks, poops, sleeps, etc. as if he's been reading instructions on this forum. We were so nervous about doing everything right but it looks like we worried too much! He's not the least bit shy, lets us scratch his head, and seems to be responding to Grace's voice (I know it's just the food, but cute nonetheless!) I can't believe how attached we all are! Grace turned around in her bed so she could sleep with her head next to his house. She attached a small book light to the lid so if she wakes up in the night she can check on him. I have rigged the MVB timer so it serves as her alarm clock. It shines right in her face. I would hate that but she is so excited to see him crawl out of his burrow and say good morning that she hops right out of bed! It's awesome! Before I bore you with further details of our smitten-ness, I do have questions.

I am attaching photos, but for clarity, Sonny's bin is about 36" long and 16" wide. I know this is not big enough for very long--we are planning a table--but its working for now. We wanted to gain some real-life experience before we construct the ultimate tortoise palace!

I think we have the temperatures about right. The attached picture shows the day-time temps. Humidity is staying around 65-70% throughout but is up to 80% in the hides. The bedding is moist bed-a-beast with dry cypress on top. At night, the cool side stays around 70º and the warm side around 80º. We use a CHE as needed on cool nights. We have a red night light but haven't needed it. So here is my question: why doesn't he ever go to the cool side? He passes through while walking his daily laps, and sometimes after eating breakfast in "The Valley" he leaves by way of the cool side, stops by "The Pond" and then he heads right back up to "Sunny Hill". He spends much of the day in the striped pot and then burrows under the cypress at the back corner of Sunny Hill at night. I guess if that's the way he wants it, I'll deal with it, but there's so much talk about needing more space and the little turkey is only using half of his well planned home! I just want to make sure my temperatures are okay. I was wondering if he would like it better if the whole thing was warmer. (Yes, we have named the geographical regions in his enclosure, and yes, I photoshopped temperature labels onto the picture, and yes, I know I might be approaching the edge of sanity.)

Any input on Sonny's enclosure is appreciated. The lid is cat-safe, and we keep about half of it covered with plexi-glass to keep the humidity up. He seems pretty happy but I just want to make sure!

Question #2 (and I promise it will be shorter) I am unsure on food amounts. We are feeding a variety of greens...spring mix, dandelion, mustard greens, romaine...with a couple pieces of Mazuri every morning. I don't know how to quantify it except to say he gets a pile a little bigger than he is. He eats a fair amount in the morning and then returns to munch throughout the day. We take out leftovers at night. I figure since they are grazers, he should have something in there at all times. He is 12 weeks old today. 45g when we got him 2 weeks ago and 55g now. Are we okay in this area?

I might win a prize for the longest post! So sorry, but the questions formulate in my head until I get a chance to sit down at the computer!
Thanks for your help!

Sonny_temps.jpg

sonnyshouse.jpg

catsafe.jpg

Sonny_port.jpg

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I like your photos and labeling/edit job.

jkingler

5 Year Member
Awesome post. Love how you made visuals for the temperature gradients, too. From what I can see, it looks pretty awesome, and from what you say, the baby seems very happy and well cared for.

Just curious: What is the percent humidity in there? Feel free to make a visual to display that, too, haha. (Stealing your image idea, for sure.)

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
You Nailed This Post, Looks Like A Great Indoor Enclosure, :)

and What Is The Humidity in there?

PeaceTurtle

5 Year Member
Jacob said:
You Nailed This Post, Looks Like A Great Indoor Enclosure, :)

and What Is The Humidity in there?

Humidity is 65-70% all over and about 80% in the hides. I do, however, doubt the accuracy of my cheap hygrometer so I can't be absolutely sure. I watch the edges of the container. When the top layer of dirt gets dry, we mix it up and add water. The plants get watered too so I'm sure that helps.

jkingler

5 Year Member
Then I would say, based on my limited experience and even lesser expertise, that it sounds pretty ideal for now. :D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Looks like you are doing fantastic :) 5 grams a week is a great gain for such a little bugger. Your set up looks great and your temps are just fine. Humidity should be okay, but from my experience with my Greek I would mist on the shell once or twice a day. I went the humid hide only route with mine and she turned out a little bumpy, but started smoothing out when I started spraying. Do you soak at all?

You should be proud of yourself, you did your homework very well!

PeaceTurtle

5 Year Member
Yes, Grace soaks him every evening for 15-20 minutes. I will tell her about the misting. Thanks so much for your input! This is new territory for us!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Really nice set up and a great photo showing your temperature gradients! I personally would cut back the Mazuri to once a week and rely on a good diet of mixed, quality greens the rest of the time with some mixed vegetables/greens once weekly too. I like a soil based substrate of organic soil mixed with coconut coir and ground up leave/moss better than wood based mulch for baby Testudo. Mulch by itself doesn't hold moisture as well as soil based substrates do. I spray my baby enclosures twice daily, saturate and churn it once weekly.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Wow looks like you guys are doing great...I love the lid, think I might do something similar for my hedgehog (Ive just been putting his solid lid on when I let the cat in). And I promise that post is nowhere near the relative point of insanity for this forum, it's just awesome. Other than recommending mistings and cutting back on Mazuri as already mentioned I have nothing to add.

PeaceTurtle

5 Year Member
Goodness, this feeding issue is a complex one!! We will cut back on the Mazuri! We were feeding dandelion this week and then I saw a post about how terrible dandelion could be! We have small trays of seeds on the kitchen window sill (Carolina Pet Supply Grazing Tortoise mix) but those will take awhile. Praying Spring comes early!! I'm finding that many things are in the category of "don't feed too frequently". I'm trying to give a large variety but I don't even want to admit how much produce I've had to throw away since we got him! I found mustard greens at Whole Foods so we're going to give that a whirl. He doesn't seem very interested in carrot but we only tried that once. I sort of feel like I can't win!

On the substrate, my thinking was that it was good for the mulch to not hold moisture so he wasn't always having to sit on wet stuff. It's a very thin layer that he burrows under to get into the dirt part. Maybe when it's time to change we'll do something different. The humidity is staying at a good level so that's good. <sigh> Seems like my baby tortoise (oops...I mean Grace's baby tortoise) doesn't come with any better owner's manual than the kids do!

Thanks everyone!! So glad to know I'm not as close to insanity as I thought!

PeaceTurtle

5 Year Member
yoda06 said:
Just a question, how old is your little one? And does/did she have a soft shell in her 1st few months?? :) curious cause we rescued a 4month old Greek who was in a very bad way

He is about 3 months old. I don't know about the first months cause we've only had him for 2 weeks. He was in great shape when we got him (or her). Very sad about your baby. Thank goodness she has someone to take care of her now! (or him)
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.