Baby Hermann's Tortoise - Sneezing?

SarahP_794

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hello all,
Hoping to get a little insight for my male baby Eastern Hermann's Tortoise. I got him just about a week ago and he is 2 months old.
He has been moving great in his new enclosure and hasn't lost his appetite at all, quite frankly he is a pig. But i have noticed when he wakes up sometimes he makes a squeak or a sneezing noise and pulls his head in his shell then I do notice a few bubbles from his nose. It usually subsides after his morning soak. He has been acting fine otherwise and this has only happened for a day or 2. Not sure if this is cause for serious concern or he is just adapting to his new habitat.

Is this a sign that he needs a higher or lower humidity? We try to keep his humidity between 50 - 70, though I know babies need a higher humidity so we cover his enclosure over night. His ambient temp is in the 80s - basking is 90-95. In the enclosure I am using reptisoil, forest floor bedding & some coconut core. Also added so terrarium moss for humidity.

All advice appreciated. First time tort mom!

Attachments

• IMG_0805.jpeg
    IMG_0805.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 45

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
What you are describing are sings of RI, try increasing the Temperature.
Testudo Species do not need as much humidity as others like Sulcatas & Leopards.
But yes humidity is key to prevent Pyramiding.

SarahP_794

Pennsylvania
What you are describing are sings of RI, try increasing the Temperature.
Testudo Species do not need as much humidity as others like Sulcatas & Leopards.
But yes humidity is key to prevent Pyramiding.

Thank you! Yes I had a feeling we were over spraying for humidity and being too conscious of it, specially since he has been burrowing. Currently lowered his light to bump up the heat and pulled out some of his moss and let it dry out

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I would get the moss out, the baby might eat it

Last edited:

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Soak him everyday if not twice a day for at least 20-30minutes in warm water. If the water gets cold change it. You can also try carrot baby food soaks as well. Carrot baby food and warms water.. keep us posted

SarahP_794

Pennsylvania
Soak him everyday if not twice a day for at least 20-30minutes in warm water. If the water gets cold change it. You can also try carrot baby food soaks as well. Carrot baby food and warms water.. keep us posted
Thank you! I did a double soak for him yesterday as well. I will give him a long second soak now. Does a small piece of carrot work?

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I have notices by boy loves to climb! He keeps trying to climb even tho there is nothing to climb.

Great enclosure

Definitely run out to grab him something. I am just always paranoid about him flipping
It’s prone to happening, mines usually gets the hang of it as they get older then don’t tend to flip as much.

SarahP_794

Pennsylvania
Hey guys,
Just an update, Benny is doing much bette today! I lowered the humidity and bumped up his heat and it seemed to have done the trick. I gave him a few extra soaks too.

No sneezing or nose bubbles today and he ate everything I gave him today! Keeping an eye on him but so far so good! Thank you for all your help.

Also I am not sure what type tortoises you both have but how do you guys control you humidity? He seems comfortable with one lite mist in the morning, the substrate seems to hold enough humidity with out much management

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I am glad to hear he is feeling better. Keep up the soaks then in a few days you can taper it down. Yay

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome. I am just happy he is better. One of mine started squeeking and I bumped his temperature up and gave him 2 to 3 soaks a day for a week even though he stopped his noise. Just to make sure.

SarahP_794

Pennsylvania
Welcome. I am just happy he is better. One of mine started squeeking and I bumped his temperature up and gave him 2 to 3 soaks a day for a week even though he stopped his noise. Just to make sure.

Yes that is a great plan! I will definitely be the same type of parent. I do not what that noise coming back.

Reactions: Ink

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Hey guys,
Just an update, Benny is doing much bette today! I lowered the humidity and bumped up his heat and it seemed to have done the trick. I gave him a few extra soaks too.

No sneezing or nose bubbles today and he ate everything I gave him today! Keeping an eye on him but so far so good! Thank you for all your help.

Also I am not sure what type tortoises you both have but how do you guys control you humidity? He seems comfortable with one lite mist in the morning, the substrate seems to hold enough humidity with out much management
I also have a Herman’s. I close its enclosure at night and mist it. The humidity stays around 70-89% at night. Til now I see no Pyramiding.

Reactions: Ink