Baby leopard tortoise night light heat help?

cupuente18

I'm getting a baby leopard tortoise tomorrow and I have everything I need, I was trying out all my heat sources and I found that the bulb I bought for night time is a problem. I got the Zoomed nightlight red reptile bulb, the enclosure is in my room and that light is way too bright in my opinion, is there any bulbs out there that do not produce too much light but have enough heat for nighttime? Any recommendations would be awesome!

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Get a ceramic heat emitter. They are expensive but last a long time. They give off no light but produce heat. You will have to keep your baby tortoise warm around the clock. Don't let the temperature gets below 80°.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Second for ceramic heat emitter. Put it on a thermostat set to keep the enclosure 80F.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
ceramic heat emitter.jpg

Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get a ceramic heat emitter. They are expensive but last a long time. They give off no light but produce heat. You will have to keep your baby tortoise warm around the clock. Don't let the temperature gets below 80°.
The heat should go hand in hand with a high humidity of 80%.

cupuente18

I have a powersun uv 100w bulb and it's about 12in above the substrate and the temperature does not want to go higher than 83 degrees... should I buy a stronger one? Or does it take awhile for it to heat up.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You probably need to cover your enclosure to keep the heat and humidity in. If you post some pictures people can give specific suggestions.

cupuente18

I haven't finished putting all the other things inside, the temperature is my main priority right now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You've got to get rid of the sand, and you should hang that lamp from over head. Those clamps always fail eventually. The open top is going to make it very difficult to maintain heat and humidity.

All this and more is in the two threads above.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Definitely read the above threats. You can find a lot of what you need at a hardware store. Such as Home Depot. Here are some examples. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450838645.118024.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450838676.268390.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450838707.551722.jpg
At the pet store you can get coconut coir bricks and a large zoo med Lampstands. Cut a hole in the lid just big enough for your Mercury vapor bulb and the CHE fixtures then adjust the height accordingly.
Also look up threads about "easy closed chambers. Or "Cheap closed chambers"