Baby leopard tortoise won't eat

Julia Urban

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
My 12 year old son received a leopard tortoise as a gift from his step mom. We have done some research before hand and were doing well with the baby. I am in the process of moving and sent the tortoise to my son's father til we are settled in the new house. I got a call the other night that the tortoise died, which he didn't really die but was not moving for a small period of time. He's normally friendly and will come up to Joshua when he feeds him. Then I was told he hasn't been eating much if anything since we sent him 2 weeks ago. I sent Joshua up to see the tortoise and this is the first anyone has seen the tort move. We are soaking him in a 50/50 mixture of unflavored Pedialite and water to hydrate him. His tank is in the low 90s during the day. He's still not eating.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Temps are usually the reason a young tort won't eat. Are you using a temp gun? What type of light?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
It must be a very worrying time for you and you son.
Trouble is it's also a worrying time for your tortoise.
He seems to have been happy and healthy with you and now he's been sent to a new 'territory' he doesn't know and doesn't like.
Other things may have changed, the humans, diet, humidity, temps, etc and I think the tortoise is probably stressed and in the midst of trying to adapt to his new environment.
As the other guys have said, details of his enclosure and a photo if possible may help isolate a specific problem.
Thanks for coming here to try and help him.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Remember they said temps and you said low 90's during the day what temps at night and what type of light during the day . And a pict of the tort in its enclosure will help a lot !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My 12 year old son received a leopard tortoise as a gift from his step mom. We have done some research before hand and were doing well with the baby. I am in the process of moving and sent the tortoise to my son's father til we are settled in the new house. I got a call the other night that the tortoise died, which he didn't really die but was not moving for a small period of time. He's normally friendly and will come up to Joshua when he feeds him. Then I was told he hasn't been eating much if anything since we sent him 2 weeks ago. I sent Joshua up to see the tortoise and this is the first anyone has seen the tort move. We are soaking him in a 50/50 mixture of unflavored Pedialite and water to hydrate him. His tank is in the low 90s during the day. He's still not eating.

Are you still there? We need more info to help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Julia, and welcome to the Forum!

What a shame the dad didn't know enough to give the baby the proper care. Hopefully we can help you bring the baby back to health. Start by giving it a warm 20 minute soak daily and double check the temperature all over the floor of the habitat. You can also read the care sheet pinned at the top of the leopard section and make adjustments and tweaks where necessary.

Julia Urban

Lehigh Valley Pa
He was moving a little more but still isn't eating. We are soaking him in a Pedialite water mix 2 times a day. Someone told us that he might have gotten a respiratory infection from the move and not to turn off the second bulb at night. He has both a 100w reptile basking light and a black one (not sure of the wat). That's at 99 right now with 28% humidity.
20150613_112404.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, you should not allow the habitat to get below 80F at any time, so keeping the black light on at night is a good idea.

Julia Urban

Lehigh Valley Pa
Yes, you should not allow the habitat to get below 80F at any time, so keeping the black light on at night is a good idea.
Of course we always left the nocturnal black heat lamp on all night. But he told me to leave both lights on. He told me that when they are sick to have it hotter all the time.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
You want it hotter, but he needs it dark to sleep. I recommend a CHE, ceramic heat emitter, on a thermostat set at 85F to 90F. Your humidity should be over 80% though.