Baby not eating much

Daniel Torres

I have a new baby leopard tortoise who seems to be doing well but not visibly eating. Soaking 2x a day 10 min... feed fresh greens 2x a day like recommended. Enclosure is mostly sealed maintaining 50-80% humidity... correct temps... both hot and cool spaces. Problem is, I am seeing my little guy eat consistently. When should I begin to get concerned? I do see this little guy eat cactus but the rest seems ignored.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
How long have you had him? It takes a few introductions of a food before some will eat it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you feeding what he was fed before you? Some don't take to new foods easily. If he likes his cactus, spread it over the other foods. Within a few days to a week he should be eating better. I wouldn't worry until then. Keep him hydrated.
Are you following the forums caresheet for temps and humidity? Making sure the temps are correct is important to their diet specially the basking temp.

Salspi

Chicago
Many times it’s a basking spot issue.... They need adequate warmth to stimulate appetite. They also don’t eat well when under stress. Hard to know the exact reason without more info

Bronbowie

Garden Grove, California
There are other types of cacti that are edible. I have the prickly pear cactus (Burbank spineless) growing in my backyard that I chop up into miniscule cubes for my baby leo. I also have a leafy cactus that is regularly eaten by humans, called a Barbados Gooseberry (Pereskia aculeata) that has edible berries and leaves. I've tried it myself and it's good in stews. I won't feed it to my tortoise until I've heard from an expert, though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pereskia_aculeata

daniellenc

Maryland
Purée the cactus and mix with greens and weeds or Mazuri if he likes it yet. Also babies don’t eat a ton per say so get a cheap kitchen scale and monitor weight. If he’s gaining he’s fine.

Daniel Torres

Things don't look so great. I have read all the recommend feeding options and this little guy has not eaten much of anything. The cactus was being eaten early on but now nothing. Yesterday evening before the daily 10 minute soak, I notice that my torts eyes were closed and would not open. This habitat has proper humidity and temperature levels so I don't get it. I read other posts and followed the increase in temperature to stimulate appetite but nothing. I think it might be time for a vet visit but my optimism is low.

Chloebark

Northern Indiana
Things don't look so great. I have read all the recommend feeding options and this little guy has not eaten much of anything. The cactus was being eaten early on but now nothing. Yesterday evening before the daily 10 minute soak, I notice that my torts eyes were closed and would not open. This habitat has proper humidity and temperature levels so I don't get it. I read other posts and followed the increase in temperature to stimulate appetite but nothing. I think it might be time for a vet visit but my optimism is low.

Have you tried longer soaks? My baby is most active after warm soaks and I always set it right in front of food afterwards. I try to do this 3x a day since he hasn’t gained any weight and I can see him eat little bits but still not much.

Also I have seen others mention baby food carrot soaks, have you tried that? It’s supposed to help get them vitamin A when they aren’t eating and also help with their eyes wen they don’t stay open...

Good luck I hope yours starts getting better!

Daniel Torres

After reading some other posts, I have started blending the greens and added baby food carrots to the mix. Yesterday was a much more active day than before. I soaked much longer than the normal 10 minutes and the little guy was all over the place. Didn't appear to be weak like the day before. Also added some direct natural sun basking for at least 10 minutes. I am hoping for a positive change. I will add the baby food carrots to the soak. I hadn't tried that suggestion yet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Exactly what are you offering him. Please list the different types of food.

Daniel Torres

I have been feeding the following

Collard Greens
Turnip Greens
Mustard Greens
Spring mix
Carrots shredded
Mexican spineless cactus
Regular cactus
Dandelion greens
Everyday weeds
Hibiscus flowers

Things are starting to look better. Oogway ate some dandelion greens outside. I have been taking the little guy outside more often and increased my soaks. It seems like being out in the natural sun is making a big difference.

I have tired chopping up all the ingredients into a processed blend.. various combinations of all mentioned foods , cactus and the dandelion greens are the favorite. Eyes are once again opened and mobility is getting back to what I was days ago.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, just to get him started eating, go to the store and buy a head each of escarole, endive, green leaf lettuce and romaine. Take one leaf from each head and chop it up into tiny pieces. Chop one way, then turn and chop the other way so you end up with tiny squares of greens. You'll have to get used to eating salads, because all those heads will be way too much for one little baby. Then, once he's eating well, start adding another item from your list, also chopped up. Slowly over time, add things from your list and decrease the amount of store bought greens. Don't rush it. Take a long time.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
You don’t have a Whole Foods, Asian, or Latin market out there?
Asian, not that I know of. We have Mexican grocery stores, and I get other greens from there. I just googled, and we do have a Whole Foods. It's 60 mi from me, and way off my usual shopping area, but I will go there the next time I'm in that area.
I have bought endive from 2 different stores, but expensive at $5./lb. The only way I can get escarole is in a small bag, cut up with endive and radicchio, for $4./bag.

Daniel Torres

Yvonne, I made the switch to the lettuce you suggested but couldn't find escarole. This might be a trip to Whole foods as one suggested in this thread. I am happy to report that the last 2 days have been a success. My little Oogway is eating up this blend more than anything else. The odd thing is that he/she seems to prefer to eat outside more than inside. The new regiment now includes a morning eating trip to the back yard and an evening feeding trip and both result in a good amount of food intake. Oogway does seem to prefer the greens that were left over from the previous feeding that have shriveled up with the heat. My next plan is to build an outdoor enclosure where this little guy can have some protective outdoor habitat to spend a part of the day in. I already have an outside habitat for our 3 toed box but this little one needs its own space so on to the next project. Thanks for all who contributed their ideas in for getting my Leopard to eat.