Baby oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Yes, You can Dab A Little on a Q-tip and wipe it on the new Growth lines.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
It Helps When There Growth Lines Get Dried Up, Also If Your Tort Has A Dry Shell.

You Can Use VitaShell, Or Green Olive oil.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
This is a common question with a variety of opinions as well....some folks like using the vitashell...baby oils...moisturizing lotions and so on :D

No there is no lube shop in the wild....but then again they are not in the wild ...some folks find it therapitic to sit and rub the shell with the different things...some like the way the shell looks all shiny ...some can't stand the thought of their tortoise being dirty so they doll em up...

I personally don't think the vita shell will do any harm...I thing better than baby oil perhaps a touch of mineral oil would be a better selection...but both of these items should be used sparingly and as much residue as possible should be rubbed off/in.

I believe that if you do use these things it likely is to aid in retaining moisture in the top and layer of the shell With primary focus on the new growth areas....now with that I would also make sure you are doing proper hydration for your tortoise--soaks and enclosure humidity along with water available for consumption at all times.

I personally do not use a shell rub...I have never been faced with that additional tool to maintain hydration....that does not mean someone else should or should not, just I don't :D

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
I mush aloe from my aloe plant into Walters bath water once a week. It seems more natural then baby oil.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
Geochelone_Carbonaria said:
What's wrong with a humid environment then ?

I do have a humid environment it's just a question so relax if u don't like the thread don't chime in its a question because I seen it in a old post

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the other thread, the OP was worried because the new growth seemed brittle. Normally I don't condone the use of topicals on tortoises shells, but because the new growth seemed brittle I told the OP they might consider painting the space between the scutes with a Q-tip dipped in some sort of lubricant.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
emysemys said:
In the other thread, the OP was worried because the new growth seemed brittle. Normally I don't condone the use of topicals on tortoises shells, but because the new growth seemed brittle I told the OP they might consider painting the space between the scutes with a Q-tip dipped in some sort of lubricant.

Thanks that's the answer I wanted to know just wanted to see if there was any benefits of putting something on the shell thanks.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I personaly would not use baby oil. Too unnatural. I have tried Emu oil.

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
bobbymoore said:
Thanks that's the answer I wanted to know just wanted to see if there was any benefits of putting something on the shell thanks.

The aloe really helped Walter when I first got her and she was really dull and dried out. Her skin especially looked much better afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.