baby Olive, age guess?

olive_the_tortie

Location (City and/or State)
NC
This is Olive, her fav fruit is mango!

I just got her 2 weeks ago and look forward to keeping in touch with other redfootie friends to learn more tips and tricks!

I think she is a cherryhead (?) and she is about 3.5 inches in length. Any guestimates on how old she might be? Thanks!!

Attachments

• olive mango.jpg
    olive mango.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 2
  • olive mango 1.jpg
    olive mango 1.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 2
  • olive .jpg
    olive .jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Adding: I see some ppl take weight measurements of their young tortoises. should I do this? I haven't weighed her yet

Thanks!
Susie
Hello and welcome! Olive is very cute!

I think yes, she is a cherryhead (dark plastron, bright colored head and little colored spurs on the forelegs). But it's hard to guess an age - they all grow at a different pace. Maybe 2 years old.

You can check this post for some care tips: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-tortoise-care-sheet.175319/ (perhaps, most important are correct temperatures and high humidity).

Keeping track of weight is a nice idea - she should steadily grow from month to month. I weight mine every week and look at monthly average weight.

olive_the_tortie

NC
This is great, thanks! I have a ramp water dish for her which I'm seeing isn't recc'ed so I can change that, here is a pic of her outdoor enclosure (6'x4') - I think it may need some updates

She currently lives in a greenhouse kind of setup inside rn (4'x2') and I have been putting her outside during nice weather days to hang out for a bit. Thinking it needs more plants so she can hide more. Perhaps ferns?

For diet do you think supplementing with Mazuri pebbles is crucial or is it enough to just feed greens, fruit, little protein etc as the caresheet mentions ? I have seen posts for and against pellets

Attachments

• outdoor enclosure.jpg
    outdoor enclosure.jpg
    635.6 KB · Views: 2
  • outdoor enclosure1.jpg
    outdoor enclosure1.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Yes, boston fern, spider plants, prayer plants or pothos are fine for shade. For the outdoors enclosure I would cover the part of the enclosure with a shade sail, tarp, lattice or plywood as a second layer of shade.

If she mostly eats grocery store greens, some supplementation may be necessary. Mazuri or similar pellets can be fed once a week, just to even out possible vitamin/mineral deficiency. Pellets should not be a "staple" food, definitely.

Here is photo of my redfoot, Besha, with some plants I use in her enclosure. These wall pockets with potted plants work well enough: they don't take away walking space and plants are more or less protected from stomping (but not from biting a leaf or two :) )

Attachments

• PXL_20240311_070718784.jpg
    PXL_20240311_070718784.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

olive_the_tortie

NC
Ooo she's a beauty! :)) besha's legs are so smooth, will mine also grow into that? Her legs are like bumpy scales rn, or is it a genetic difference?

This is great, I'll go plant searching this week!

I saw some ppl say get a baby toothbrush and brush their head/legs during a bath, do you do that??

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Ooo she's a beauty! :)) besha's legs are so smooth, will mine also grow into that? Her legs are like bumpy scales rn, or is it a genetic difference?

This is great, I'll go plant searching this week!

I saw some ppl say get a baby toothbrush and brush their head/legs during a bath, do you do that??
Thank you!

These "bumpy" red scales is a one of the cherryheads traits. A tiny pinch of "sulcata style" :) They will smooth out a bit but not completely.

I use a soft bristle toothbrush once in a two weeks or so, mostly to clean the shell. She hates when someone touches her legs and head. Brushing doesn't offer noticeable benefits, but I do it to remove dust and small substrate pieces (she has some pyramiding and stuff sticks between scutes).

olive_the_tortie

NC
How cool! And good to know so I don't think something's wrong with her lol.

I'm wondering after having her a few weeks- she's not super scared of me or anything- but I can tell she's a little hesitant when I come around (she'll stop walking and stare at me for a min). How long do think it takes for them to get really comfy around you? ppl say handle as little as possible to help, are there other things you can do too?

I make sure to hand feed her mango so she associates me with the best things ahahahaha

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
How cool! And good to know so I don't think something's wrong with her lol.

I'm wondering after having her a few weeks- she's not super scared of me or anything- but I can tell she's a little hesitant when I come around (she'll stop walking and stare at me for a min). How long do think it takes for them to get really comfy around you? ppl say handle as little as possible to help, are there other things you can do too?

I make sure to hand feed her mango so she associates me with the best things ahahahaha
I think, this is perfectly normal to react this way on something large, fast moving and close to you. Then she recognizes you and calms down. Established routines also help them to feel more secure.

Yes, becoming a "food god" is a nice thing. Some tortoises seem to recognize voice. They generally have bad hearing but can be good listeners (at least they don't interrupt you when you speak).

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
This is Olive, her fav fruit is mango!

I just got her 2 weeks ago and look forward to keeping in touch with other redfootie friends to learn more tips and tricks!

I think she is a cherryhead (?) and she is about 3.5 inches in length. Any guestimates on how old she might be? Thanks!!
So cute!!! 🥰. 5 months? Lol just guessing. I only say that because the sulcata I'm adopting is about that size....but that's a sulcata. I literally know nothing else!! 🤣

olive_the_tortie

NC
Hahah awesome! I'll try being consistent with her!

And @ ecachuh that's how I feel too lol, tried to look up age for torts and all I know for sure is she's more than zero... xD