Hello! Russian Tort - Olive

casslock

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! I'm Cassandra, and this is my Russian Tort named Olive. I've been following this forum for the last few months; a lot of great advice and experience, thank you everyone!

Olive's a very active little tortoise with a fun personality! She loves spring mix and dandelion. She also enjoys escarole. I put Herbal Hay on her food, but she hasn't tried it yet, just pushes it around. I soak her every other day, and once a week add some bird vitamins. She loves to lay in the grass in the far corner and take a nap in the sunlight.

We set up a little cave for her, you can see where she's sleeping. It's a large piece of flat rocked propped up securely by two narrow rocks. It's pretty neat, the top part of the rock is where she basks and eats. I'm aiming for the cave to be a humid hide, any advice on that? It has about 3 inches of moist coco coir under the rock for her to burrow in. I spray it in the morning so it stays constantly moist. She goes to sleep every night in her cave.

We got her a few months ago, shipped from the West Coast. She arrived healthy and active, but it did take her a few weeks to adjust. She now eats a lot and walks around her cage throughout the day. I'm really excited for spring/summer - I'm going to set up an outdoor enclosure so she can go out for a few hours a day. I live in New England so it will be a while :)

She has a great personality! I think she's started to recognize me as the giver of food... when she hears me, she stretches her little neck out and looks up at me. You can see the excitement when I have a pile of food, she really books it haha. I'm pretty sure she enjoys her head gently scratched and will stretch it out, which is adorable. I love my little tort!

Attachments

• olive set up.jpg
    olive set up.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 49
  • olive sleep.jpg
    olive sleep.jpg
    734.1 KB · Views: 49

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Welcome!
That is a nice big enclosure, and your substrate looks great; moist underneath. That's all you need to worry about with a Russian.

Otherwise, aim for good temps, UV. She looks great.

Your plans for an outside enclosure, even for a few months, is spot on. Consider covering a 2x4' area (for example) with polycarbonate to allow for a dry area during the rainy season. It all give her more choices.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I love your name :D please ignore my weirdness.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
tffnytorts said:

Please ignore tffnytorts weirdness, she loves your name, (smiling face)

casslock

5 Year Member
Thank you! She is pretty huh? :D

I have a tube for UV and a basking bulb, the basking spot is 95 and the cool end is between 75-80. I can't wait to get her outside. Thanks for the polycarbonate tip - I'll keep that in mind when we build her area!

casslock

5 Year Member
Why thank you! My husband came up with it - I have to say I was impressed! Haha

tffnytorts said:

casslock

5 Year Member
:) I'll have to tell Olive tomorrow morning! Haha. You have 9 Russian tortoises? - wow that must be fun! They're great little torts

Cowboy_Ken said:
tffnytorts said:

casslock

5 Year Member
I've never seen Olive have trouble with the glass, so I'm not really speaking from experience here.. BUT maybe Boriis is getting confused with the clear glass? You could put garden edging, like the kind you find at hardware stores, around the bottom of the tank. Or even construction paper taped on the outside.

Also, maybe Boriis needs a larger enclosure? I've seen some great ideas here that are inexpensive and easy to make. From my understanding, Russian torts are roamers and love to move. How big is Boriis?

tortoisehappy said:
I have a Russian desert tortoise named Boriis and when I come in he is usually basking or eating. I have a ten gallon tank for him but when I had just got him he would bang against the side of the tank. Now a couple months later he is doing it again and I'm worried. Any advice?

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Hello! Russian Tort - Olive

Cowboy_Ken said:
tffnytorts said:

Thanks Cowboy:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Cassandra and welcome to the TFO from AZ
RT are great but torts are like Lays chips you cannt eat just one . Torts
Your not happy with just one and RTs
Don't do well in groups