Baby red foot, dry funky shell

Tortooooga

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Hello all, I am new here and a new tortoise dad. Just received 2 baby RFs a few days ago. One looks very healthy while the other is dry around the edges and has a funky looking plastron. Should I be concerned or wait and see how he does in a proper enclosure with the right temp/humidity?

Attachments

• 2F9CC831-410E-4A7D-B4A3-2725A24236BD.jpeg
    2F9CC831-410E-4A7D-B4A3-2725A24236BD.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • E5F81632-8C97-4D2D-A49C-943D2FE50BFC.jpeg
    E5F81632-8C97-4D2D-A49C-943D2FE50BFC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • E087FE57-ADE9-4EEA-B906-81BCB9233122.jpeg
    E087FE57-ADE9-4EEA-B906-81BCB9233122.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome. Calling the experts here for you...the tortoises do look different from each other. They should be kept separate in any case. @ZEROPILOT @Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all, I am new here and a new tortoise dad. Just received 2 baby RFs a few days ago. One looks very healthy while the other is dry around the edges and has a funky looking plastron. Should I be concerned or wait and see how he does in a proper enclosure with the right temp/humidity?
They should never be kept in pairs. Have a separate enclosure for each one. This is a pretty good care sheet:

Tortooooga

Washington
Thank for for the responses.

I ordered 1 baby and received 2! Can I keep them in the same enclosure while they are young or do I need to seperate immediately? I was not prepared for 2 enclosures. I am still struggling to get the temp/humidity right in just one.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank for for the responses.

I ordered 1 baby and received 2! Can I keep them in the same enclosure while they are young or do I need to seperate immediately? I was not prepared for 2 enclosures. I am still struggling to get the temp/humidity right in just one.
Although the issue probably won't be obvious at that size and age, it's stressful for them and it'll cause health issues.
They're solitary animals
I didn't realize you had them together.

Tortooooga

Washington
Although the issue probably won't be obvious at that size and age, it's stressful for them and it'll cause health issues.
They're solitary animals
I didn't realize you had them together.
Dang, I was hoping they would be ok for a while. I will get started on making a new enclosure. My current setup is only 36x17 so splitting in half would be too cramped. Thanks for the help! I have a lot to learn

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It just might possibly be the start of shell rot or fungus. Wouldn't hurt to treat him with a couple applications a day of athlete foot cream. The plastron issue just may be why they sent you two instead of the one you ordered. . . they didn't want to have to mess with clearing up the plastron.

You can try keeping them together and see what happens. Here are a couple helpful hints to see if it would work - keep them in a VERY large, well planted enclosure with more than two shelter, waterers, feeding tiles, etc. The plants act a sight barriers and if they can keep out of each others' sight it's a good thing.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Coconut oil is very good for shells, and it's an anti fungus medication naturally

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
But those two babies are super tiny little hatchling! So cute!
I would just flip out if I got a second hatchling with my single baby order... super lucky. I had to order two eggs to hatch in my incubator once. So tiny.