Shell Question

ErinW913

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I tried to figure out if I was posting this in the proper place, so please forgive me if it's not.

We recently got our first tortoise, a yearling Cherry Head Red Foot. I have a vet appointment scheduled for a new patient checkup, but unfortunately can't get in for another week. He has clear eyes, is bright & alert, seems to be eating ok (even though it's not much), has passed stool twice since we got him 4 days ago, and has proper humidity, lights and temps from everything I've read on here.

However, I'm new to tortoises and am wondering if I need to be concerned about his shell. There are no soft spots anywhere, but these jagged white edges have me worried. Can these be normal?

IMG_0637.JPG

Last edited:

zovick

10 Year Member!
I tried to figure out if I was posting this in the proper place, so please forgive me if it's not.

We recently got our first tortoise, a yearling Cherry Head Red Foot. I have a vet appointment scheduled for a new patient checkup, but unfortunately can't get in for another week. He has clear eyes, is bright & alert, seems to be eating ok (even though it's not much), has passed stool twice since we got him 4 days ago, and has proper humidity, lights and temps from everything I've read on here.

However, I'm new to tortoises and am wondering if I need to be concerned about his shell. There are no soft spots anywhere, but these jagged white edges have me worried. Can these be normal?

Yes, the sharp edges at the border of the shell are normal for a young tortoise like yours. Gradually they will become smoother as it grows larger.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I see nothing of great concern in the image, rest easy!

Bee62

Germany

View attachment 223331
Hello and welcome to the forum. The shell of your tort is pretty ! The brigther edges are new growth of the shell and that is pretty normal. When your tortoise is alert, active and good eating and pooping there is really no necessary for a VET appointment. Save your money and keep away the stress from the VET visit to your tortoise. Unfortunately a VET could do more harm than good to your tortoise.