Baby red foot indoor enclosure substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mightymcknighty

5 Year Member
image.jpgSo I'm in the process of a tortoise table and. I went out yesterday to get a shower curtain and some soil. I have a bag of potting soil also a bag of sphagum peat moss and a large bag of organic topsoil. These 3 soils will be used in the bottom of the enclosure as I will have coco coir on top of all that to keep the humidity and prevent shell rot.

Thanks for all your support & feed back
Thanks,Brandon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Brandon:

The numbers on the bag on the left indicate the percentages of nitrogen, phosphate and potash. I don't think I would be using this particular bag as it contains fertilizers that haven't been pulled up into a plant. You want plain soil with no additives. and then, the blue bag says, "Potting soil plus" I would have to wonder what the "Plus" is.

Mightymcknighty

5 Year Member
Thanks a lot with pointing that out yvonneG I didn't even think about that nor even see it! Would you recommend buying soil from the pet stores like BigAls or petsmart they have plantation soil and coco husk packaged and it's fairly cheap I used it ATM but I just wanted some better stuff to hold humidity thanks a ton

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you go to a big home improvement store, you can probably find some soil that doesn't have any additives and it will be much cheaper than at pet stores. Look for top soil. If you buy "potting" soil, chances are it will have additives.

Mightymcknighty

5 Year Member
Okay sweet thanks a lot Yvonne your help is awesome I will take these back and go else where. Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.