Baby red foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois
Ok ill add that later

Ok ill add a trash bag later, and should i cover the top with everything but the lights?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
What I do is cut foil to the size of the wire square but make it two layers thick, then position the light where I want it and trace around the light and cut a hole out to fit the light. Since you have them hanging higher you will prob want a larger whole big enough for the area of the light to get through.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
If you want to go the easy route, invest in a humidifier. It works wonders. I do still spray my enclosure every once in awhile but you save your arm from spraying a few times a day like I was doing before I got one.

PS. My little first little one was lazy like yours when I first got him. I found if they are too lazy to get up on their own give them a nice warm soak before meal time everyday. This will get your tort alert and ready for food. Plus, you should be giving the little one soaks anyways.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
immayo said:
If you want to go the easy route, invest in a humidifier. It works wonders. I do still spray my enclosure every once in awhile but you save your arm from spraying a few times a day like I was doing before I got one.

PS. My little first little one was lazy like yours when I first got him. I found if they are too lazy to get up on their own give them a nice warm soak before meal time everyday. This will get your tort alert and ready for food. Plus, you should be giving the little one soaks anyways.

This is also my routine with my Redfoot. I wake it up with a warm soak if it not already up, and then it's meal time afterwards. I've soaked almost daily since I have had it, and have practically never had to clean poop out of the habitat cus it poops during the soaks.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I have my humidifier and CHE on a thermostat....best $30 I ever spent.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois
We will make big changes tonight, heating pad and humidifier, thank you for all your help and i ussualy give him warm soaks every other day.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I would d them daily for your hatchling. Also, I would avoid the heat mat. Especially since the zoo med house is wooden...it would have to be inside the cage to work and could burn your tortoise if he is too close. Are you having trouble with the temps? Day/night?

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I'm sure there are microclimates and you are right the climate is very constant in the Amazon yearly/daily. The more foresty areas will have the least drop for night, and interestingly enough I did a little (geography related) study of Manaus, in the Amazon a while back. We are talking temps of around 26 to 29-for the purpose of this we're talking Celsius- daily. Averaging about 22 at night, humidity at lunch is it's lowest, often getting down to 60 or 70% then. By 10 am we're talking about 23 or 24 Celsius. Then we have a cool cumulus clouds shower late afternoon with temps dropping to about 26. Humidity now is 80% bare minimum. I should point out here Manaus is a true rainforest city and as we know reds inhabit savannah areas as well so we're talking for this:
~Lower average humidity-it is not uncommon to get under 60%.
~Higher day temps, maybe up to 31 ambient or even 35 or 36 in hot spots.
~Lower night temps-could be getting down to 20 easily. In southern ranges, it has been known to get down to ten. I have found that my red foots appreciates a lower ambient temp, around 27 or 28 usually and then a big basking spot as well. I also have found through trial and error that a night drop of about/just under 5 degrees is also effective

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois
Ok no heat matt, humidifier, plastic cover on the too except for the lights. How long should i bath him daily, i just did. He went to the bathroom. Ran around right out of his little "bath tub" and ate half an apple slice along with some greens and calcium! Im going on vacation sometime next month for a couple days and my friend who will b watching him prob wont have time to feed him multiple times a day and bath him, what should i do?

The temps i got to be 86 during the day, 89 in the hot spot, and low 80s in the cool spot. At night pretty much the whole habitat is 80 or 81 and his cool area is like 78.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man ,we are hammering you with info. I see the fixture you are using does that have a coil type lamp for uvb ? If so those will cause eye problems in tortoises . Your enclosure is fine . But if you remove the big hide door panel and add half logs for hides it will be easier to heat the enclosure. Also if you put a humidifier in you don't have to enclose every thing. For a good set up look at turtleterry
.com and do the same if you don't let him outside to get Sun then use a tube type uvb lamp. Turtleterry's set up does not use uvb lighting .
Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois
No that isnt a coil, the coil u see is the heat emitter. And i appreciate everyones ideas, but what i am going to do is get the bottom super wet and use the garbage bag and cover a lot of the top with plastic to trap the humidity, also i will use ur half log idea and i did take out the divider.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thats cool . I have the same kind of set up .This is the table I made for my tort. And I use a humidifier and no uvb due too my torts. Are out in the sun whenever possible. I have no problem with the humidity. I sprayed the inside with a clear type of rubber in a spray can you get from the paint department in home depot works good no leakage. But I also keep them in an outdoor enclosure in the summer.

Attachments

• 1370478112675.jpg
    1370478112675.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 1370478748917.jpg
    1370478748917.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 71

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois
That looks really good, abd i forgot i already sealed the bottom with something like that aswell. During the summer i will take him outside for lunch almost every day if the weather is nice!

Ill keep you updated and post pics of my changes.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ok

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Get you one of these to spot check tort and the enclosure.

Attachments

• 1370482670542.jpg
    1370482670542.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 63

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks that is my nosey dog Guss. Always working his way into something. L.O.L.

Status
Not open for further replies.