Baby Russian Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
I'm getting a baby rt soon. I was wondering if the basking spot should be any cooler than adults would have? Also is there any other things I should know? Do they need to be kept a bit more humid?

Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Basking spots are the same for hatchlings as adults. I will let the Russian owners help suggest other things you might need to know. BTW, Congrats and don't forget pics.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Thanks

Attachments

• image-1853199379.png
    image-1853199379.png
    263.7 KB · Views: 23

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You do indeed want to keep them more humid, and they need to be soaked everyday. Do you have an idea of how old they are?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I have not raised a hatchling, but my understanding from others who have, like GBtortoise, is that the conditions are similar. When they hatch in the wild, they face the same conditions. But they like to hide more, of course, because they are a more tender morsel for a predator.
So, plenty of hides. Make sure the substrate is moist underneath (ok if it dries out on top). Coir mixed with topsoil might be nice.
How fun. Ditto the pics.

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
I have a baby rt right now and I use a 160 watt mercury vapor bulb on the basking area at 95 degrees. Then I use a CHE 100 watt over the whole enclosure to make a gradient of 85 in the warm end varying to 70 in the cool end so he has a place out of the direct heat. PM me and I will give you the rundown on my setup with pics.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
yoyoyod said:
I have a baby rt right now and I use a 160 watt mercury vapor bulb on the basking area at 95 degrees. Then I use a CHE 100 watt over the whole enclosure to make a gradient of 85 in the warm end varying to 70 in the cool end so he has a place out of the direct heat. PM me and I will give you the rundown on my setup with pics.

This sounds like an excellent setup for your baby. But it is also almost exactly what I do!! I have a humid hide for them in the warm end and let them cool off at night to no cooler than 60, just like an adult.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
dmmj said:
You do indeed want to keep them more humid, and they need to be soaked everyday. Do you have an idea of how old they are?

They were hatched around July August 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.