Baby Snapping Turtle

Joey B.

Location (City and/or State)
Raleigh, NC
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any experience with raising hatching common snapping turtles?

I'm getting one next week and I've got his enclosure set up, minus any lighting. I keep seeing conflicting into on lighting & snappers. Some say they need UVB some say they get what they need from their diet (but only if it's super varied). I'd like to err in the side of caution and provide it but I can't find any suggestions for how to light a small container. Right now he's very tiny (not much bigger than a quarter) so until he puts on a little size and is a better swimmer I'm just keeping him in a small(wish) Rubbermaid tub with about 1.5" of water, a piece fo driftwood & floating plants. I'd like to have a basking light pointed at one end of the driftwood but I think what he's in is too small & someone said any lights (esp anything that puts off heat like a mercury vapor) would likely be too bright & could cause problems with his eyes.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 11.26.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 11.26.20 PM.png
    655.9 KB · Views: 10

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have raised quite a few common snapper hatchlings and never provided any special lighting or a basking area for them and they grew great. I fed them pelleted foods. Mostly floating fish pellets of several different kinds and mazuri water turtle diet. I kept the water deeper than you plan on. I set it up so they had things to climb on to reach the surface.I use a 10 gallon tank for a single individual to start it off in so it will notice the food thats offered. After it's eating well and searching out the food when offered it could be housed in a larger container. They can grow quick and get very personable in a short time.