Baby Sulcata age/size

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
So I've recently gotten my first few Sulcatas and my very first one had an incident with his water bowl that he unfortunately did not win. When I got him I was told he was 12 weeks old. Fast forward to a month later (yesterday) and my mon surprised me with 2 Sulcatas that are a decent bit bigger than the previously mentioned tort and I was told that they are 14 weeks old as of right now. I'm not sure if the first tort was a slow grower or if the new ones are fast growers or if they are in fact a bit older than what I was told. Any tips or ideas always greatly appreciated. Thanks 🐢

Florida
First 2 pics are the new Torts Jasper and Clementine and the last pic is the original Tort Clifford

Attachments

• 20220301_082521_HDR.jpg
    20220301_082521_HDR.jpg
    835.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220301_082727_HDR.jpg
    20220301_082727_HDR.jpg
    870.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211216_115851_HDR.jpg
    20211216_115851_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
First 2 pics are the new Torts Jasper and Clementine and the last pic is the original Tort Clifford
The one older one have a really dark shell. I have never seen a sulcata have a dark shell like that before. Maybe the pic is in the dark? If it is then would you mind taking a pic of him/her in the light to see if there is a difference. and if you send a picture of the enclosure then that will help all of us help you.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The two newer ones certainly have the look of yearlings, but it is hard to be sure as your pictures are not good and in focus. Good pictures to see the detail of how the keratin has grown would be needed to really make a better estimate.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
The one older one have a really dark shell. I have never seen a sulcata have a dark shell like that before. Maybe the pic is in the dark? If it is then would you mind taking a pic of him/her in the light to see if there is a difference. and if you send a picture of the enclosure then that will help all of us help you.
lol I'm glad you said that....cuz I saw it too...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
At first I thought the two dark ones were desert tortoises, but then I saw the large front leg scales.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I've recently gotten my first few Sulcatas and my very first one had an incident with his water bowl that he unfortunately did not win. When I got him I was told he was 12 weeks old. Fast forward to a month later (yesterday) and my mon surprised me with 2 Sulcatas that are a decent bit bigger than the previously mentioned tort and I was told that they are 14 weeks old as of right now. I'm not sure if the first tort was a slow grower or if the new ones are fast growers or if they are in fact a bit older than what I was told. Any tips or ideas always greatly appreciated. Thanks 🐢
Your pics aren't clear, but its clear that these guys haven't been getting the correct care. We can't tell age by looking. Most breeders do it all wrong, and then teach everyone else to do it all wrong. Most of the care info you find is all wrong. Its been wrong for decades, and people keep on passing the same wrong info from generation to generation.

Here is the current and correct care info:

Florida
I just got them yesterday at night so pics weren't that great and hadn't had a chance to soak them and get them cleaned up good. They are both Sulcatas and unfortunately as I said I got surprised with them so I wasn't able to be there and see the breeder's set up and all that or ask all the good questions like hatch date, current diet, favorite foods, etc. I will get them better pics of them all cleaned up and in good lighting and scute keratin growth rings tomorrow and post them on this thread. Thank you all for the help so far.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
In your pic it shows a little bit of a tank. Is that their enclosure? It should be a Viv or something that holds 80% humidity or higher. Sulcata tortoises do not get infections or shell rot. A closed enclosure is the way to go with this tortoises and most others. So maybe you could use a mini inside green house. This will be said in toms caresheet but just in case you missed it. You should bathe them everyday till they get older then you can gradually skip a day. Again Toms care sheet says all this and better so make sure you read that a few times. Your tortoises have started pyramiding to fix that you need to keep the humidity level right.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Hum, so let me get this straight, You have 3 juvenile Sulcata's . . ?!
You do realize they can't be kept together, and will need a fairly large enclosure EACH for their proper care...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You do realize they can't be kept together, and will need a fairly large enclosure EACH for their proper care...
Why can't they be kept together, after quarantine of course? Trios of juveniles should be fine together. There wouldn't be a problem until they get to around 12 inches, and then only if one or more turn out to be male.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Yes, I suppose, but it will be hard to tell, if any bullying starts as they mature.

Obbie

Minnesota
I enjoy being able to come here for answers, and directions. Does anyone know why zoo’s keep tortoises together ? They seem to bully each other, and I think that the zoo’s should be up on this ?

Toombsk16

Brooklyn, CT
You really ought to back your statements up with information. (Preferably accurate and not the kind that so many like to pull out of their rear end o here)

You can certainly keep multiple Sulcata’s together. It’s best to have 1 male and at least 2 or more females so that the young lady doesn’t get overwhelmed with too much attention) Having enough space is key. If you have multiple males, they will need to be watched as they mature as they will be somewhat combative until it is determined which one is the Alpha. They can injure and even kell another male especially if it developers larger Gulars. (The 2 pointed pieces that extend near their neck.) They can se these to sever the soft tissue from the shell of another an if bad enough or not attended to, it can be fatal.

It is the people who put them in their yard, give them food and water and otherwise ignore them much like irresponsible pet owners do with dogs who have the sad results. Sulcata’s are fantastic pets, gentle and provide a lifetime of enjoyment if cared for properly. ☺️