Baby sulcata getting darker?

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
When I first got Tiger he had more beige on his head and a little less darker tones on the edge of his scutes. I've noticed he has been darkening up a little. Is this normal?

lkwagner

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384786371.219112.jpg
Mine is super dark, probably cause I live in MI and they have to spend a good majority of the year inside.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
A pic would better help us to assess this.

Often sun exposure or substrate staining will cause their skin to darken up a bit.

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
Could it be from the powersun or the cypress mulch and Eco earth?

Erick153

5 Year Member
20150929_090042.jpg
A pic would better help us to assess this.

Often sun exposure or substrate staining will cause their skin to darken up a bit.
Does this seem like substrate staining to you? I have her in eco earth coco fiber. Also today I got in a 10.0 uvb bulb and had that on today for about 3-4 hours. It sits approximately 5 or 6 inches away on one side and she appeared to be a whole lot darker than the slight progessive darkness she'd been accumulating. I hope its not a sun burn or something!!20151009_211957.jpg heres a before and after.

Attachments

• 20150929_090042.jpg
    20150929_090042.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 25

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Does this seem like substrate staining to you? I have her in eco earth coco fiber. Also today I got in a 10.0 uvb bulb and had that on today for about 3-4 hours. It sits approximately 5 or 6 inches away on one side and she appeared to be a whole lot darker than the slight progessive darkness she'd been accumulating. I hope its not a sun burn or something!!

What type of 10.0 bulb did you get? Cfl or long tube type?

Erick153

5 Year Member
What type of 10.0 bulb did you get? Cfl or long tube type?
Ok, I'll be sure to set it up farther away tomorrow. As for the bulb, if cfl stands for "compact flourescent" thats what it is because its not the tube.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok, I'll be sure to set it up farther away tomorrow. As for the bulb, if cfl stands for "compact flourescent" thats what it is because its not the tube.

Those sometimes burn their eyes and should not be used.

Erick153

5 Year Member
Those sometimes burn their eyes and should not be used.
I did notice that I was really bright... But its the best I could afford at the moment. What is a good distance to keep it while I am able to buy the other set up? Should I but a screen to dim it maybe?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I did notice that I was really bright... But its the best I could afford at the moment. What is a good distance to keep it while I am able to buy the other set up? Should I but a screen to dim it maybe?

There is no safe distance. Using a screen to dim it will only burn the eyes a little less.

Those are dangerous and should not be used. They are unsafe. They can cause painful eye burns and blindness. It should be turned off and not used. Return it for a refund and tell them why. If enough people do this, they will stop selling them.

Better to not have UV for a while until you can save up for something safe and effective.

Is the weather still warm where you are? You can put your tortoise outside in a safe enclosure for an hour a few times a week to meet its UV needs.

Erick153

5 Year Member
There is no safe distance. Using a screen to dim it will only burn the eyes a little less.

Those are dangerous and should not be used. They are unsafe. They can cause painful eye burns and blindness. It should be turned off and not used. Return it for a refund and tell them why. If enough people do this, they will stop selling them.

Better to not have UV for a while until you can save up for something safe and effective.

Is the weather still warm where you are? You can put your tortoise outside in a safe enclosure for an hour a few times a week to meet its UV needs.
No its not, I take her out for about 30 minutes while Its warmest but its not long. Fortunately I still have the blue night time bulb ive been using.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, don't use it at all. Just turn it off. The tortoise can go without UVB for a short while to no ill effect.

Erick153

5 Year Member
No, don't use it at all. Just turn it off. The tortoise can go without UVB for a short while to no ill effect.
Yea, its off now and I have a blue night time bulb that I bought from walmart that keeps her tank at a constant 85 on the warm sode and high 70s on the cool side near her water and food dish. Thank you for the info.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yea, its off now and I have a blue night time bulb that I bought from walmart that keeps her tank at a constant 85 on the warm sode and high 70s on the cool side near her water and food dish. Thank you for the info.

Ugg… I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news Erick. It sounds like you have been getting all the wrong advice. I don't want to make you fell bad, but I feel its important for you to have the right info for your tortoise.

Colored lights bulbs are not good to use for tortoises. They see color better than we do, and if you can see with that blue light at night, they can see better. It messes with their little heads. They need it dark at and bright during the day. Ceramic heating elements set on a thermostat work best to maintain your ambient day and night.

Check these out for more explanation:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Yes, CHE ceramic heat elements are awesome. They screw into socket like a bulb but put off no light. Just a nice steady heat. Setting up the enclosure using info on this site is the hardest part but these are tried and true methods that kept many torts safe, healthy and happy. Another thought, look out for dangerous tipping hazards. Store bought water and food dishes are baaaad. Many a tort has flipped into them and drowned. A simple Terra cotta planter pot saucer is wonderful for both. Water one should be big enough to walk all the way into. A slab of slate or sandstone is better to feed off of to wear down beak. Make sure water dish is set into substrate so they can walk right in and out. Have fun....:)