Baby Sulcata help

Geno

I recently got a new baby Sulcata from a breeder about a week ago when I first got him he was more active then he is now. Meaning walking around and eating much more then he does now, he still eats in the mornings and a little bit before he goes to bed. But not as much as he used to when I first got him, He usually rests by the light which the heating spot of the set up reaches about 90 F. He eats Kale at the moment he didn't really care to much for the baby spring mix that I keep putting in his set up the breeder told me he likes watermelon as well if I put it in the set up he will usually go at it for awhile I've only seen him poop about 3 times since I got him I don't know if this is normal? Also his head looks a little dry but I've soaked him about 4 different times since I got him, He also stretches his arm and legs and his head frequently while he is laying down by the lamp is this also normal? If you guys need pictures just let me know and I will upload them! Any little knowledge will help please and thank you!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi Geno and welcome to the best place for up to date info on everything tort related.
If you look under Species Specific you will find a great caresheet for sulcatas which will tell you everything you need to know about right temps, humidity, diet, substrate etc which will help you make sure you have everything set up properly to help your new baby. If you can follow all that good advice your tort will be happy and healthy for many, many years.
If you could post pics of him and his enclosure and lights etc members can make sure their advice is tailored made for you.
A bit more info would help too:
Which part of the world are you in?
What sort of uvb lamps and night heat are you providing? (any sort of coil or long thin loop cfl bulb is bad for torts eyes so if you have one of those you need to stop using asap and change it.)
I don't think kale alone is good for sullies and yes it is normal for them to stretch out under their lamps, I believe that way they try to absorb as much uvb and get as warm as possible.
I also found the beginners Mistakes Thread useful and the enclosures thread is great for ideas.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is another good website for helping to ID tort safe plants etc.
Hope that helps for now but there are many sully keepers here who I'm sure will be only too glad to give you the benefit of their vast experience.

Geno

Hey thanks for the replaying so fast! I live in Newport Oregon on the coast. I will post pics of my set up and the bulbs I use! I also use the Night black light only when he goes to bed not sure if that's right or not. The temp on the gauge reads about 90 F and the humidity is at 60

20151025_141403.jpg 20151025_141523.jpg 20151025_141531.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Your welcome and there will be many more US members here later who will be far more helpful than me but it's just nice to get a quick reply so you know someone is about and reading posts.
I use a similar MV bulb which gives heat light and uva/b and at night I use a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) on a thermostat so that it switches on and off when needed, but I think some members use the black bulbs.
I'm not sure if your enclosure is big enough to achieve the range of temps your tort may need, but wait and see what people who have raised sullies say about that and possibly a bushy plant he could hide under would make him feel more secure like a spider plant.
Check the Tortoise table website for tort safe ideas but if you buy from a store you have to repot in pesticide/fertiliser free soil and wait a while for any used by the suppliers to grow out, or use cuttings from plants existing 'safe' plants you may have.
Also check if your substrate is recommended and what the temp and humidity levels should be on the caresheet which has been written by someone with a great deal of experience.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Please read Toms threads below in my post. The basking temp needs to be 90-100 at least, so you need to know for sure what it is. The lowest temp should not be below 80 and this is with an 80% humidity. If tortoises can't warm up under the proper temp basking spot, they can't properly digest their food. A ceramic heat emitter is better for night time, no light, just heat. If you put it on a thermostat set at 80 then you know,your tort won't get too hot if it's needed for day time use too.
The threads below will help you a lot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Geno. Welcome to the forum. Sounds like your issues might be left over from the breeder, but one thing I did note is that your temps are probably too cool. It is hot where these guys come from. Ambient should be no lower than 80 day or night and I like it to creep up into the low 90s each day. A basking temp near 100 will also help with this.

Also, babies should be soaked daily.

Replacing the cardboard with something plastic that has a smaller door hole will also give your baby the humid hide it needs.

Here is the correct care info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

M

Maggie Cummings

He needs to be warmer to eat. I, too, make cardboard hides. But for babies you need a 'humid hide' and cardboard doesn't do humid well. Use a plastic container that you can make 80% humidity. You'll find out about pyramiding and other stuff if you read those links Tom gave ya. I live in Corvallis, I LOVE Newport....Welcome. You can get black light bulbs at K Mart for $3.49, 60 watts. That's what I use for heat, and my family has for 30 or so years. Keep asking questions....

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You will need to smack that pet store thermometer with a hammer . After you have cleaned the pieces up . Go to Home Depot and buy a digital one . They are like ten dollars or so .

Reactions: Tom