Sulcata poops everyday

Jsarab

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
I’ve had my baby sulcata for about a week. He pooped on the third day after I got him. Then afterwards, he has been pooping 1-2 times everyday!! Is this normal? I’ve been feeding him fresh grass, mazuri pellets, turnip greens, kale, collard greens for the past week. Also is his poop supposed to look like this?

Attachments

• 25C5250E-5712-49EC-9161-F187B26B0A97.jpeg
    25C5250E-5712-49EC-9161-F187B26B0A97.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
I don't think it's unusual for a tort to poop every day, although it's not something my tort does.
I'm far from being an expert on tort stools and can't really tell from the picture but it doesn't look too runny.
This is the caresheet you need to help your tort thrive, check your diet against the foods suggested in it to see if there's anything that needs changing - maybe add in more weeds rather than shop bought.

If you post a picture of his enclosure with the lamps you are using you'll get good feedback to make sure it's as safe as possible.

Jsarab

Las Vegas
Now I know what everyone will say once they see this enclosure. “Temps are all wrong, humidity is too low for a baby” etc. I unfortunately stumbled upon Tom’s caresheet a little too late after I bought everything and got all the wrong information watching videos and stuff during my research phase prior to buying my baby sulcata. I plan to build my own enclosed chamber to get the right temps, humidity and space. I use the t8 reptisun with 10.0 reptisun uvb fluorescent tube. For my heat lamp, I use the flukers heat lamp with dimmer

Attachments

• 98AC5FD9-89A7-4FE8-8DBF-D83731AB629E.jpeg
    98AC5FD9-89A7-4FE8-8DBF-D83731AB629E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Now I know what everyone will say once they see this enclosure. “Temps are all wrong, humidity is too low for a baby” etc. I unfortunately stumbled upon Tom’s caresheet a little too late after I bought everything and got all the wrong information watching videos and stuff during my research phase prior to buying my baby sulcata. I plan to build my own enclosed chamber to get the right temps, humidity and space. I use the t8 reptisun with 10.0 reptisun uvb fluorescent tube. For my heat lamp, I use the flukers heat lamp with dimmer
Wow, you really did get all the wrong info. For under 50 bucks you can buy a pop up portable green house that would get you thru a couple years if you buy the right size.
I'd do it asap or you could have lots of problems with how small that enclosure looks, how dry and likely cold it is too.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If I were you I would take all that back to the store and put the money to getting the right equipment asap.
We've all made mistakes, but the sooner you correct them now you have the right information, the less impact it will have on the tort's health.
The water dish sides are too steep for your tort and could be a drowning hazard if he tips backwards into the water while trying to get out or overheat under the lamp if he tips while getting in or out. A cheap terracotta plant saucer would be safer.
What bulb do you have in the lamp?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry forgot to add it is quite normal to poop every day specially when small and the poop looks fine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really like that cactus hiding place!

Pooping more than once a day is quite normal for baby tortoises. And the texture of that poop in the picture is just fine!

Now on to your enclosure. Since you have that great light stand (looks like one of my very own home made ones), it would be quite easy for you to drape a sheet of plastic over it and tuck it in under the enclosure in the back and sides, leaving the front just draped down for ease of lifting up to look inside. Also, your light is too close to the floor of the enclosure. That might be harmful to your baby. Figure out a way to mount it from the horizontal 2x4 on the top of the light stand, and don't use the clamp feature - they fail and that would be a fire hazard.

Instead of the T-8 light, get a T-5, and with your set up, and no way to mount a radiant heat panel, I would go with a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) on a thermostat for heat instead of the heat lamp.

Welcome to the Forum! Glad to have you and your baby here!!!

Reactions: Tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Jsarab

Las Vegas
If you can figure out if your cement mixing tub would fit in the pop up green house, that would be better than draping with plastic.

I will definitely try this. Do you know if its safe to use the heat lamp and uvb light inside the pop up green house?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I will definitely try this. Do you know if its safe to use the heat lamp and uvb light inside the pop up green house?
Yes, perfectly safe as long as they don't come into physical contact with the plastic.