baby sulcata shaken up

Piro

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
So do to a scary incident my baby sulcata got very shaken up. Didn't get bitten or dropped, no impact either. But now he seems very dazed and inactive. When I was soaking him he didn't seem to move much and eventually just rested his head under the water... In his book enclosure he is in he is kinda just laying there with his head far out on the ground. We can't get to a vet for over a week and he was in the shell for the shaking, all his limbs seem fine as he walked around just not as much...could he have gotten whiplash? Is there anything I can do at the current moment? Also didn't seem to want to eat either.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Piro, sounds scary. I think the more experienced forum members will need a lot more information as to what brought about this "scary incident." I can't imagine a hatchling sulcata resting his head under water. Make sure you have his temps nice and warm, but I'll defer to Tom, Yvonne and the other very experienced members to help. I don't think waiting a week for a vet is an option though.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We really need to know more detail. For now, raise the temps to 85 and let him be. If it was that traumatic, he may just need to rest and recover. More details of what happened would help a lot though to determine what could possibly be going on.

Piro

Missouri
unfortunately there isn't a vet....even remotely accessable. And as I was trying to move him so I could soak him and my arm got clamped between metal bars from slipping with em in my hand, and though I didn't drop em, gettng my arm out without hurting le tort was difficult. The temps were about 70(was having some issues with heat that have been fixed but never got colder)

Piro

Missouri
he moving a little more. Retracted his head more, kinda looks sleepy (he likes to sleep with his head in corners) but he's laying in direct light

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What is the humidity? Did anything hit him? 70 is low for a young tort that should have a 80% humidity and that's with temps no lower them 80. Cold and humid makes for a sick tort. Try getting the temps up. I would let him be for tonight. Just let him sleep,it off. Doesn't sound like anything really happened too him, unless something hit him.

Piro

Missouri
can...turtles get hickups.....? He kinda looks like he has them... :eek:. And sorry for the spamposts, I can't edit posts from phone

Piro

Missouri
and humidity has been right about 80-90 thanks largely to being in such a super humid climate

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Piro, try to explain a bit more exactly what happened to you and your baby. Sounds like u both experienced some trauma.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, then the 70 temps are way too low. Get them to 80. High humidity with that low of temps can cause her to get sick or worse.

Piro

Missouri
about 80 now. A tiny bit of movement. Really only thing that seems very wrong is laying head down on ground instead of more tucked in.

and really not sure how much to add what hapened. My arm got clamped with metal bars trying to get em out of the enclosure to spend some time in grass, I slipped a little and hit a bunch of stuff. Nothing was near my hand, and getting shuckle out required alot of twisting and turning but didn't bump anything. And was entirely in shell the whole time.

Piro

Missouri
I feel all panicky... But he(I just say he by default) moved and layedbdown on the shade and looks normalish. Head is further in but not as much as normal.....-hope- I really don't want more issues this week...

also... The hicup thing still confuses me

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Was he inside the house in enclosure? Did he act funny, head not tucked in right away or after you put him outside? Is it possible he got heat stroke from being outside and it has nothing to do with your arm getting tangled? @Yvonne G may know if the head thing is a possible sign of heat stroke and what to do if it is

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I asked because of you taking him outside. Not the low temps in the enclosure, but if the enclosure is outside or when you took him outside. What you described happening would not cause him to have a problem unless he was hit or dropped.
What are you using btw to read your enclosure temps? Those disc type things from the pet stores are useless. If that's what you are using, get a digital thermometer, around ten bucks give or take from Home Depot or hardware stores, also a temp gun is a good buy and very useful.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The hiccups you mentioned, could it be slight head bobbing/limbs moving up and down?
If so, they do that when they breathe...completely normal.

You mention the head is laying out and not tucked in the shell. My tortoises have always done that to soak up more heat/warmth from the heat source. Could that be what you see?

It sounds to me like your tort hid in it's shell during your slip and should be just fine. I think it's safe to say, no whiplash occurred.

Piro

Missouri
so I guess it was too cold... We been very very watchful on his humidity, and now he seems perfectly fine. Running around eating normal etc. Thanks a ton for the help. I now have backup heat lamps in case of another issue, so should be avoidable situation. -sigh of relief-

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California