Think my tortoise has passed

Freya

My baby sulcata has all of a sudden gone stiff with his limbs, he was fine earlier, walking about and everything and then we noticed he just wasn't moving, so I gave him a bath and he started moving again. Dried him off and put him back in his enclosure, checked on him a while later and no movement at all, even when I prod his back legs! His eyes aren't sunken and his head and limbs aren't droopy, I'm just so worried!! He's like my baby

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Sorry to hear this.

Where did you get him? How they are started plays a big role in how well they do later on, and most breeders start them far too dry after hatching.

How long have you had him?

How are you heating, lighting and housing him?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Freya

Thankyou for your kind words,
He hasn't opened his eyes in about a week but he's been moving around and eating fine before yesterday. I checked on him again this morning before work and just now as ive got in and still nothing. He's just stiff, we lost his brother a few months ago but this was due to blood loss I believe as he'd cut himself on a rock. His brother was floppy, head was droopy and you could tell he had died but with this one I just don't know, I don't want to bury him until I know for sure he has passed. They are like your little babies, I cared for them both so much.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So sorry to hear this. It doesn't sound good but personally I think you are right to wait. Some may think it is a waste of time to say this but I would keep him warm and soak for a little while longer just in case its a coma like state. It may be rare but it has happened.
What bulbs are you using?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This baby has had something going on for at least a week if his eyes hasn't opened. That's not normal. Did you try to figure out why his eyes weren't opening? We're they puffy looking? Are you using the coil type bulbs? There is something either wrong/deadly about the way you are housing them or you bought them from someone that is raising sickly hatchlings or both.
Before you get any more, figure out what is going wrong that you are losing them. Also, when something isn't right, don't wait a week, not even a day to ask for help and to get it figured out.
Hopefully this one pulls thru

Stephanie Rae

Corvallis
Thankyou for your kind words,
He hasn't opened his eyes in about a week but he's been moving around and eating fine before yesterday. I checked on him again this morning before work and just now as ive got in and still nothing. He's just stiff, we lost his brother a few months ago but this was due to blood loss I believe as he'd cut himself on a rock. His brother was floppy, head was droopy and you could tell he had died but with this one I just don't know, I don't want to bury him until I know for sure he has passed. They are like your little babies, I cared for them both so much.
I'm not a vet, but I got some eye drops when it happened with my tort's eyes. He was just a wee little guy at the time. It hasn't happened again

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
This post is from 2016.