Has my tortoise over-heated?

A.N.T.Productions

Location (City and/or State)
Massuchusetts
My name is Anthony and I have a red-footed tortoise. Yesterday I made a small enclosure for him outside, against my house so I didn't have to watch him every time I wanted to let him outside. I put him in at 10:30, and checked on him again half an hour later. Then I was a total dumbass and didn't check on him again until 4 o'clock. I came back out to see him, and he half inside of his shell. His legs are somewhat retracted and his head is fully inside of his shell, with it's eyes closed. His limbs are still stiff and they can't really be moved. Now, if you thought my stupidity was over, he didn't have any shade, and today peaked at around 90ish degrees. He had some spinach, which he appears to have eaten. And a water tub, although not one that he could get in. And it was rather tall, but I think he could still drink from it. Anyways, I brought him inside and immediately started soaking him. Is he dead? What should I do? Help would be very much appreciated. I'm very worried that he might be dead.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
How old is your Red-foot tortoise? Provide length if unable to answer.

Indoor and outside enclosures only differ in size, meaning both enclosures would need to require specific elements that mimic their natural environments. Adult Red-foots are usually hearty enough to handle outdoor temperatures from cold to hot, that is of course if the tortoise was already in a healthy state.

Lacking specific details as to your enclosure setup, the tortoise's health, diet, and, living conditions, I would have to ask for more information before suggesting that shade was the only factor that may have caused the tortoise's current condition.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well, how's he doing?
Yes, he could easily be dead. Little ones over heat very easily. No tortoise should be left in an enclosure that doesn't have some kind of shade always, every part of the day. Whether natural shade of something you put in to give shade. For both babies and adults. The water dish should always be low enough to get in but not drown.
If he's doing okay now I would soak him every day for a week if your not already and keep him out of the extreme heat.
Hope he's okay

A.N.T.Productions

Massuchusetts
How old is your Red-foot tortoise? Provide length if unable to answer.

Indoor and outside enclosures only differ in size, meaning both enclosures would need to require specific elements that mimic their natural environments. Adult Red-foots are usually hearty enough to handle outdoor temperatures from cold to hot, that is of course if the tortoise was already in a healthy state.

Lacking specific details as to your enclosure setup, the tortoise's health, diet, and, living conditions, I would have to ask for more information before suggesting that shade was the only factor that may have caused the tortoise's current condition.
He's about 8 to 9 inches. His indoor enclosure isn't much. Coconut substrate, a heating lamp that I haven't been using much because of the summer heat. He has a water dish and a soaking dish in the 4x4 square container that takes up a quarter of my room. His diet usually consists of mealworms, spinach, and another fruit or vegetable, mostly grapes, bananas, mangos, or strawberries, with calcium supplement, although its been mostly mealworms and spinach for financial reasons.

A.N.T.Productions

Massuchusetts
Well, how's he doing?
Yes, he could easily be dead. Little ones over heat very easily. No tortoise should be left in an enclosure that doesn't have some kind of shade always, every part of the day. Whether natural shade of something you put in to give shade. For both babies and adults. The water dish should always be low enough to get in but not drown.
If he's doing okay now I would soak him every day for a week if your not already and keep him out of the extreme heat.
Hope he's okay
Thanks, but he's still in pretty much the same condition

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, he needs a much better and larger enclosure.
He also needs a better diet. If financially you can't do better for him then regime him to someone that can. You can always get another down the road when you can afford to do right by him.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
He's about 8 to 9 inches. His indoor enclosure isn't much. Coconut substrate, a heating lamp that I haven't been using much because of the summer heat. He has a water dish and a soaking dish in the 4x4 square container that takes up a quarter of my room. His diet usually consists of mealworms, spinach, and another fruit or vegetable, mostly grapes, bananas, mangos, or strawberries, with calcium supplement, although its been mostly mealworms and spinach for financial reasons.

That Red-Foot is old enough to be permanently housed outside. It's just going to keep growing, your current indoor setup isn't large enough (That Red-Foot will only get larger) to house it. Wellington is completely correct in that your diet plan lacks variety. Too much sweets, not enough greens, flowers, nor leaves. Farmers markets and Asian supermarkets are prime locations for cheap, high quality greens not found in your typical big box grocery chains.

It's gonna need a good portion of your backyard as an enclosure. Provide plenty of shade, hiding areas, hide box, water, and protection from outside predators. There should be an in depth guide on outdoor enclosures in the Red-foot section.