is my tortoise dead

morgandoeee

Location (City and/or State)
florida
I have a leopard tortoise. I got him a little over a month ago. It took him a few days to warm up and start eating but he has been doing well ever since. I soak him in water twice a week if not more, he tends to only go for his lettuce and not much of the other things. I do sprinkle his food with calcium (you'll notice white on his mouth because of this).
However, last night he seemed off. He didn't eat anything yesterday and wasn't walking around when I took him outside for sunlight like he normally does. Today, when I got back from work he was still in the same spot I left him last night. Sunken into his shell. I took him out and soaked him. no movement nothing. I tried pulling on his legs a little and nothing. He's not stiff and I don't think he's 100% loose or wobbly. attached are photos of what he currently looks like.
I just don't understand if he's dead, why?
Do you guys think he's dead? :(

Attachments

• turt.pdf
    14 MB · Views: 12
  • turtle.pdf
    18.8 MB · Views: 8

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
From what I can see, its eyes look sunken in which is not a good sign. No reaction when you pull a leg? If my suspicion is correct, I'm so very sorry! :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's hard to say. He needs temps of 80 never lower. He needs a basking area of 95-100 . He needs 80% humidity and in a closed chamber. He needs a 30 minute warm water soak every day and he needs more than lettuce. When they will only eat lettuce, you have to put time in to trick him into eating better stuff.
Get his enclosure to the temps I said and try to get the humidity where I said. Give it another day or two. It's hard to say by a pic. But with what you said, it's possible.
If you think your care/temps were what I said above then he likely got a bad start before you. If they weren't where I said they need to be, then that's likely the reason.

morgandoeee

florida
From what I can see, its eyes look sunken in which is not a good sign. No reaction when you pull a leg? If my suspicion is correct, I'm so very sorry! :(
no reaction to his leg being pulled. :/ I just don't understand why he would have died tho. I thought he was doing fine. I even brought him in about a week ago to the reptile store I got him and they said he looked okay..

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
no reaction to his leg being pulled. :/ I just don't understand why he would have died tho. I thought he was doing fine. I even brought him in about a week ago to the reptile store I got him and they said he looked okay..
Like Wellington said.... it could have been started incorrectly before you even got it. It happens, unfortunately. I had a baby leo years ago and the same thing happened.

morgandoeee

florida
It's hard to say. He needs temps of 80 never lower. He needs a basking area of 95-100 . He needs 80% humidity and in a closed chamber. He needs a 30 minute warm water soak every day and he needs more than lettuce. When they will only eat lettuce, you have to put time in to trick him into eating better stuff.
Get his enclosure to the temps I said and try to get the humidity where I said. Give it another day or two. It's hard to say by a pic. But with what you said, it's possible.
If you think your care/temps were what I said above then he likely got a bad start before you. If they weren't where I said they need to be, then that's likely the reason.
What type of device do you suggest I get to monitor the temps and humidity inside his enclosure?
I appreciate your reply.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get a digital thermometer with humidity also on it. You can get them at places like home Depot, Ace hardware, Menards, etc. They are like 10 bucks. Put it on the substrate so it reads at tortoise level.