Baby sulcata indoor enclosure

DanH44

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse NY
At first would it be better to have a baby sulcata in a closed chamber with full length uvb, steady heat And no basking with high humidity? Or open tort table with basking area, full uvb and a cool side with decent humidity?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Best scenario:
Sulcata hatchling in a large, spacious, 8ft x 4ft closed chamber enclosure. No uv(B) but plenty of outdoor visits each week with the sun, supervised of course. Basking bulb available during the day along with night time heating in the form of a ceramic heat emitter or reptile heat panel during the night. 80-100% Humidity at all times at least until they become permanent outdoor pets.

DanH44

Syracuse NY
Gonna go with the closed chamber, wasn’t sure how crucial a basking area spot is if my RHP keeps it over 80 degrees

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
At first would it be better to have a baby sulcata in a closed chamber with full length uvb, steady heat And no basking with high humidity? Or open tort table with basking area, full uvb and a cool side with decent humidity?
I've tried to raise them without a basking bulb and it doesn't work as well.

80 is the minimum for the coldest part of the enclosure on the coldest winter night. They still need a basking area of 95-100 during the day, and in a closed chamber, the basking bulb should raise ambient up to around 88-93.

I'm moving away from indoor UV when possible. It contributes to pyramiding. Use the sun in for an hour a few times per week in warmer weather, and use an Arcadia 12% HO tube during your cold winters on a timer for about one hour mid day. Also feed some original Mazuri and use a calcium supplement with D3.

Its all here: