Baby Sulcata not eating/ eyes closed

cpl1307

Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire
I'm sure she will be fine. Increase bathing to twice a day as even if she doesn't drink, she will
Naturally asorb water. Tortoises can suck water up through their rectum. It's worth a try
How us knuckles now??

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I do see her drink water when I soak her, I will get the squash purée for babies and try that.
She is not eating the pellets or the romaine lettuce either.
She was given to us, she’s a baby, she must be 2 or 3 months.
Here is a pic of herView attachment 355617
I would take your water dish and flip it upside down and push down in the substrate and use that for the feeding dish. Get rid of your food dish because the sides are to high. Could cause him to flip over. Buy a terracotta dish at the garden center and set down in the substrate so it is almost level with the substrate. What do you use for heat at night?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She’s still the same, not eating…..
I’ve been soaking her twice a day, and have been putting a little of baby purée squash in the water..
She seems to be taking some in, but nevertheless, still very worried.
Put more than a little baby food pureed carrots and baby Pedialyte in the soak water couple times a day. You want more than just a little bit.
Also have you made improvements to the enclosure so that the temps and humidity never drop below 80? Also as suggested the water dish you are using is a no go.
Also try feeding her some of the pureed baby food carrots on a flat piece of slate. Don't use any food dish she has to climb of a ledge to get too the food. A little ledge for a healthy one is fine.
If you follow the links Tom gave you and the rest of the advice, she should start to improve if there isn't something more seriously wrong internally.

Last edited:

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
She’s still the same, not eating…..
I’ve been soaking her twice a day, and have been putting a little of baby purée squash in the water..
She seems to be taking some in, but nevertheless, still very worried.
Put a whole packet or jar of the puree in the water. Make sure the water stays warm the whole time. What I did was take 2 athletic socks and put rice in them. Then heat them up in the microwave and set the tub of water on top to keep the water warm. Make sure the water is at the depth where the top shell ( carapace) and bottom shell (plastron) meet.
You obviously got a sick tort from the start. You can use a heat lamp over the tub also but would have to make sure the lamp was stable. So it wouldn't be able to fall in the water or on top of Knuckles.
At night is the enclosure completely dark?
The temperature is sooooo important. 80° at the lowest and with a sick tort. 90° would be better.
If you buy a infrared temp gun and 2 digital thermostat/humidity gauges. You can eliminate the guessing game on the temps. Just don't point the infrared at eyes. Screenshot_20211211-140532_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20201118-094349_Chrome.jpg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Very sorry about this. It's hard. Thanks for caring and trying.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
So sorry to hear about Knuckles. I am sure he came from the breeder sick. Thank you for trying to give him a chance.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
So sorry to hear about Knuckles. I am sure he came from the breeder sick. Thank you for trying to give him a chance.
If you think about trying again. Decide if you really want a sulcata because they get so big. Then whatever type of tort you would like. Get the enclosure all setup correctly before purchasing.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Sorry that your little guy died.....

FWIW; I had Clemson the sulc for years and loved the big guy......but in all honesty, Little Matilda (Eastern Box turtle) is just as much fun!