Baby Sulcata Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

athena191

5 Year Member
Hey guys. I just rescued a baby sulcata thats in pretty bad shape. Part of its face was bitten by a bearded dragon it was housed with and it seems like it may have flipped in the enclosure and has some shell burns as a result. Apparently this accident happened over a month ago and the tortoise has been reportedly eating but it does seem pretty light. The bite on the face has caused his nostrils to be completely exposed. He gets around find and seems to find great comfort in the water dish. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this type of face injury before. I know some vets do reconstruction on shells but I'm not sure if this type of injury can be patched up. Also what would be the best way to treat the burns.

Attachments

• IMAG1936.jpg
    IMAG1936.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's a very smooth-looking shell. Looks like, with the exception of the lizard and the light, he was taken care of pretty well.

I've seen shells burned down to the bone. The tortoises recover nicely without ever doing anything about it. Can we see a close-up picture of what you're talking about?

Also, don't worry about the nose either. It will probably be ok. I have a RES that had its nose bitten off quite a while ago. She's fine.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Poor little guy! What an adorable,sweet little face. I am glad you rescued him!!
He will be much happier!!

Status
Not open for further replies.