Baby Sulcata scutes stuck together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumpy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
I just got my Sulcata today and the little guy seems to be doing great! The only problem is that there are 2 scutes stuck together. Does anyone have any advice on how to help its shell grow normally? Attached are pictures of Lumpy (my sulcata). Thanks!

Lumpy5.jpgLumpy4.jpgLumpy2.jpgLumpy1.jpgLumpy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Using a humid hide and spraying him often will help. Also you might try putting Vaseline on the seams between the scutes on the carapace. That should loosen them up and allow them to grow more evenly.

Congrats on getting Lumpy!

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I agree. I would keep a humid hide area (like with Premier Sphagnum peat moss with some long-fibered sphagnum moss) and keep it moist and warm of course. Having a spray bottle handy to spray the shell daily along with frequent soaks might help the scutes to grow like they are supposed to. He/she is still young, you have the opportunity to help him/her have a nicer smooth and healthy growth of shell.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I agree with Christy, make sure your little one has a humid hide give daily soaks and a good diet and as long as your doing everything correct you will start to see improvement. It is easier to correct the shell issues when they are younger.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lumpy:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Lumpy

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Thanks for the advice!! My name is Josh and I am Currently in Minnesota. I had quiet a few different reptiles but never a tortoise so any personal experience/advice is very helpful. I've done alot of research on sulcata tortoise's for about 2 years before purchasing one but experience is always better. I currently have Lumpy and a 5 year old ball python. Her name is Zoah.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
There are a lot of Sulcata owners on this site and a lot of experienced tortoise owners overall. This forum has helped me greatly improve the diet of my 5 year old Sulcata and going thru some of the older post's has been of great help. Also, welcome to the forum Josh..

TebowHammer

5 Year Member
Georgia
Welcome to the forum, Josh!

I agree with D'marcus 100%. There are a lot of experienced tortoise owners on this forum that have a ton of useful info.

I myself am nowhere near and experienced owner (yet :)), but I do have one recommendation to make (one that I learned very early on).

Make sure your other light (the one in the corner of the enclosure) is pointing straight down. Placing the light at an angle can potentially damage your little guy's eyes.

By the way, what kind of lights are you using in the enclosure?

Cheers!

P.S. I like the setup. Looks great!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That looks like the kind of thing that would occur during incubation. Maybe too hot or too dry? Just a guess. The above suggestions are about the best you can do for it.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hello Josh welcome to the TFO:) listen to above advice he will be fine

Lumpy

5 Year Member
Minnesota
thanks tyler, I will move that light. At the moment I have a 100w light and a 5.0 UVB. I am also buying a heat lamp to be closer to Lumpys sleeping area, but I am building a nice hide out/burrow place instead of the current box..

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
They are not stuck in the sense of two fully separate scutes adhering to one another. Rather, they never fully divided/separated during development in the egg.

TebowHammer

5 Year Member
Georgia
Awesome Josh! If it's a coil UVB bulb you're using, take it out now! Those can also damage your tort's eyes and in extreme cases cause blindness.

What many do on this forum (myself included) is use an MVB bulb. You can find them online and in some pet stores. MVB stands for mercury vapor bulb.

They produce both heat for basking and UVB rays. The best of both worlds. That being said...there's nothing better than natural sunlight.

Cheers!

Lumpy

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Just a Thanks to everyone! I am very glad I joined this forum. A lot of great advice and experienced owners!

Lumpy

5 Year Member
Minnesota
TebowHammer said:
Awesome Josh! If it's a coil UVB bulb you're using, take it out now! Those can also damage your tort's eyes and in extreme cases cause blindness.

What many do on this forum (myself included) is use an MVB bulb. You can find them online and in some pet stores. MVB stands for mercury vapor bulb.

They produce both heat for basking and UVB rays. The best of both worlds. That being said...there's nothing better than natural sunlight.

Cheers!

Its not the normal coil bulbs but It might still have the same issue? heres a picture..IMG_20110414_185837.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TebowHammer

5 Year Member
Georgia
As far as I know Josh, there is nothing wrong with that particular bulb...only the coil ones.

Hopefully, someone will verify that for me. But as of right now, I think you're good to go!

Cheers!

TebowHammer

5 Year Member
Georgia
Hey Josh,

Got a second opinion from someone with a lot more experience than me on the bulb you're using.

She told me that with that bulb, you want to make sure it's mounted horizontally and not vertically (up and down). That bulb concentrates the UV rays out the end, and if mounted vertical it can harm your tort's eyes.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.