Baby Sulcata Sqeaking

hnnhflns

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento CA, USA
I have a 6 month old baby sulcata and he is super active and loves running about and eating, but now he has started squeaking. He is still super active, and has a good appetite, but he sounds like a squeaky toy! I am super worried about him. He doesn't do it when he pulls his head in. He just seems to squeak every so often. Do I need to take him to a vet or what should I do? He just started doing it this afternoon.

He lives in spaghnum moss and has a heat bed and he gets soaks every day. He gets grass and kale and lettuce every day. He eats well and is active, nothing has changed about him except for this new squeaking.

Please tell me if he is ok or not!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
The experience I've had when my baby did that was that he had a stone in his bladder. Also, tell me does he squeal when he tries to pee or poop? He may be compacted or constipated. Is his poop hard? Does he get grass as part of his diet?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I had one that croaked like a frog. Almost sounded like he was barking. He did it for the first month I owned him and I got him from a GREAT breeder so I know he was healthy. After a few weeks he stopped and I have not heard it more than once or twice in the last two months. It could be nothing to worry about but I would have him looked at if it continues. Give the little fella a good long warm bath and see how much he poops. He should poop quite a bit in the tub. if it does not stop soon, take him to a good Herp vet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What are your temps and humidity? The day and night temps should not go below 80 and the humidity should not be below 80%. If you have him on hay or straw for a substrate, get rid of it. Too dry and dusty too. Use coconut coir, cypress mulch or orchid bark. My fave is coconut coir. Holds humidity really well,and won't mold. If your temps are not below 80 now,,them raise them up to about 85 for about a week and see how your squeaker is. If they are lower then 80, then get them upto 80 and also,you humidity up. Have water available 24/7 and warm water soaks every day. Also, you need to add more to his diet. Please read Toms threads below in my post for proper care of a sulcata.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
When you get back online, please let me know how his poop and peeing is doing. If he continues crying out, I believe he may be in pain. If he cries out when he's trying to pee or poop, he may be compacted or have stones. If not, but he continues to cry out every so often, I would have a vet take x-rays. That should tell a lot.

hnnhflns

5 Year Member
Sacramento CA, USA
He pooped two days ago, but I am not sure if he did yesterday. His appetite is still good, and he eat a lot yesterday. He squeaks when he is walking, but not when he is still.

hnnhflns

5 Year Member
Sacramento CA, USA
Update: he has pooped. It was a little bigger than it normally is, and I was t in the room when he finally did. It looks a bit more leafy, like he didn't digest the lettuce and roughage as well as before. I will watch him today to see if he keeps squeaking.