Baby Sulcta flipped in water bowl?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SynysterShadows1213

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Florida
Hi guys,

I came home today to find my sulcata baby flipped upside down in her water bowl. The water was shallow but she was flipped in such a position that her head seemed submerged (of course it may have not been completely but when I saw her my first reaction was to get her out of the situation and check if she was okay).

I have been gone today for about 5hrs and I don't know how long she had been that way, but she was fine and eating when I left.

Before any doom and gloom rises upon me I checked her out and she is walking around her cage and is currently chowing down on her greens.

Hopefully this is a good sign and do you think she will be alright? Is there anything I should do (other than fix the water bowl problem)?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sounds like she is okay. Just be sure to keep an eye on her for the next few days for any chance in eating, activity level, open mouthed breathing, closed eyes, or discharge from the nostrils.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So glad she is okay. Hopefully you can figure out how it happened and fix it. Sure sounds like it didn't bother her too much:)

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
Maybe the water bowl is too high for her to get in and out of she could of walked on the edge sideways lost balance and flipped glad she's okay

KingInCulver

5 Year Member
Southern California
they just do that sometimes, best to check in on them every couple hours or so, figure out the cause, remove any hazards, and make sure that after they flip they are ok and are well hydrated. mine was a flip risk for about the first month, and i installed web cams to check in on him through my iphone. then he just settled in and hasn't flipped himself since. and now its nice to just watch him on web cam while i'm at the office (productivity drops to 0%).

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
i put rocks on the inside and outside of the dish because i notice sometimes the edges are too steep. my little ones legs dangle :D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if the bowl was along the side, move it to teh middle.. the pace the sides..keep her temps up in case she inhaled water.. it might help her fight anything...
You can always remove the bowl for now too. just be sure to get good soaks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Help us all out and tell us what sort of water bowl you are using. A pic would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.