Baby tortoise weights...

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
Several weeks ago I posted that I was having issues with my babies weights. They seemed stuck and I was getting worried. I had 3 Sullies stuck at 50 grams, 2 stuck at 34 grams and 2 Leos stuck at 29 and 33 grams. I got a bunch of advice here on what the possible issues could be and I discovered that I was not feeding at the right times or enough. I was feeding once a day in the evenings and soaking right before bed. I have changed my feeding to early am, soak in the early evening and feed again after soaking. I am happy to report that my 3 big boys weighed in at 92, 94 and 97 grams yesterday. My 2 little guys hit 70 grams!!! And my 2 Leos are now sitting right at 60 grams! Everyone has more doubled in weight in three weeks! I hope to post my first pics of my 100 gram baby tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the advise TF people!

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Excellent, and thanks for posting what you are doing that worked. My Franklin, from Tom, is a really good eater, and no problems. I feed him early AM, then maybe a snack if I make it home for lunch and he's out. Soaking times have been very inconsistent, I will follow your routine. I'm having no problems, weight gaining nicely, but a consistent schedule can only benefit me and he.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Thanks all. I was so worried it might be how they were kept before being sold to me but the one thing I knew to be true was that the one I got from Kelly was raised awesome and he was not gaining weight either. He is now over 100 grams! I think the most important thing I learned was to soak BEFORE the evening feeding and not after. If I soak after, there is a symphony of tiny tortoise farts which, while cute and funny as heck, results in a very messy bath.