Indian Star Tortoise Growth

Jimmy1

Location (City and/or State)
NYC
Looking for some feedback on the growth in terms of grams for my baby star tortoise. I got him at 28 grams when we have approximately 2 months old. I've had him for 7 weeks and he's 34 grams after a big poop.

Could anyone advise if this growth is standard? I'm worried it sounds like he's not growing fast enough.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looking for some feedback on the growth in terms of grams for my baby star tortoise. I got him at 28 grams when we have approximately 2 months old. I've had him for 7 weeks and he's 34 grams after a big poop.

Could anyone advise if this growth is standard? I'm worried it sounds like he's not growing fast enough.
Stars tend to grow very slowly after being moved. Give it time and make sure the housing conditions and temperatures are correct. Here is the correct care info:

More here:

If you are not missing any of the important details like the correct substrate, temperatures, hydration, and diet, the baby should grow in time.

Jimmy1

NYC
I appreciate it, its a bit reassuring! Sharing some pics of my boy (or girl) Mochi!

I had an open viv setup initially and then after reading some care details including your guide above, I quickly adjusted and sealed the total of the viv with plexiglass.

coco fiber/cypress mulch mix

Humidity is over 80% most of the day, it drops to a low of 74 in the evenings when I have the CHE on though
ambient temp is also generally at or above 80F but can drop to 75 in the cool side where he is not resting in the evening.

Attachments

• IMG_6933.jpg
    IMG_6933.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6904.PNG
    IMG_6904.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5774.jpg
    IMG_5774.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6894.jpg
    IMG_6894.jpg
    729.7 KB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I appreciate it, its a bit reassuring! Sharing some pics of my boy (or girl) Mochi!

I had an open viv setup initially and then after reading some care details including your guide above, I quickly adjusted and sealed the total of the viv with plexiglass.

coco fiber/cypress mulch mix

Humidity is over 80% most of the day, it drops to a low of 74 in the evenings when I have the CHE on though
ambient temp is also generally at or above 80F but can drop to 75 in the cool side where he is not resting in the evening.
Ambient temp in the coldest corner of the enclosure farthest from any heat source should never drop below 80. Ambient should rise to the low 90s each day. 100 degrees directly under the basking bulb.

I see peat moss in one of your pictures. That will be eaten and it can cause impaction. If their gut is full of that stuff, it makes eating and digesting food that much more difficult, which can slow or stop any growth. I'd remove the moss ASAP.