Baby turtle!

Thomas tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
I have a baby common stinkpot musk turtle and i was wondering what filter and what water heater can I use for his 10 gallon tank a 100 watt or is this too much? Any information would be very appreciated!? I am kinda new to turtles since I'm kinda a tortoise/box turtle guy.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I have a baby common stinkpot musk turtle and i was wondering what filter and what water heater can I use for his 10 gallon tank a 100 watt or is this too much? Any information would be very appreciated!? I am kinda new to turtles since I'm kinda a tortoise/box turtle guy.
A hundred watt may be a bit much for a 10g. You could also always go bigger with the tank. I don't know if it's a hatchling or not. If it is, a 10 is fine for now to keep an eye on the little guy and make sure it's eating. I can't recommend a specific brand, but I'm always doing research and reading reviews to narrow it down. I recommend a canister filter. Aquatic turtles produce a lot of waste and the hang on the back filters will do, but a canister is just better. You also want to drain half that water doing water changes; water quality is important to avoid health issues.You want a basking bulb, a regular incandescent light bulb or flood light bulb, and uvb. Either a bulb, or even better, a strip that stretches across the tank. As far as diet, musk turtles are omnivores, feeding predominantly on things like Aquatic snails (land snails work too), crayfish, shrimp, mollusk, clams, worms, black soldier fly larvae, fish, minnows and plant matter like duck weed. They surprisingly have some powerful jaws for their size and will even eat acorns. The key is variety, something different every feeding. I like to have food in rotation. Maybe one week I'm feeding shrimp, superworms, and minnows. I feed every other day a decent size meal and feed shrimp one day, worms etc. You also can't go wrong with the musk turtle pellets that sink, to maybe get something in the diet your missing. I tend to feed pellets sparingly because a natural diet is unmatched. Hope this helps.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
A hundred watt may be a bit much for a 10g. You could also always go bigger with the tank. I don't know if it's a hatchling or not. If it is, a 10 is fine for now to keep an eye on the little guy and make sure it's eating. I can't recommend a specific brand, but I'm always doing research and reading reviews to narrow it down. I recommend a canister filter. Aquatic turtles produce a lot of waste and the hang on the back filters will do, but a canister is just better. You also want to drain half that water doing water changes; water quality is important to avoid health issues.You want a basking bulb, a regular incandescent light bulb or flood light bulb, and uvb. Either a bulb, or even better, a strip that stretches across the tank. As far as diet, musk turtles are omnivores, feeding predominantly on things like Aquatic snails (land snails work too), crayfish, shrimp, mollusk, clams, worms, black soldier fly larvae, fish, minnows and plant matter like duck weed. They surprisingly have some powerful jaws for their size and will even eat acorns. The key is variety, something different every feeding. I like to have food in rotation. Maybe one week I'm feeding shrimp, superworms, and minnows. I feed every other day a decent size meal and feed shrimp one day, worms etc. You also can't go wrong with the musk turtle pellets that sink, to maybe get something in the diet your missing. I tend to feed pellets sparingly because a natural diet is unmatched. Hope this helps.
Yes! Thank you!

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
So I just found out... The person i got him from caught him wild from the river! And i would like to get him back in his lake or any lake since he is wild I think he needs the natural life so I will be letting him go if that is okay? He has been in captivity for a few months and I'm worried he will die in the wild! But I do want him to go back to his own life. But it is very cold here! What season will I be able to let him go?

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
So I just found out... The person i got him from caught him wild from the river! And i would like to get him back in his lake or any lake since he is wild I think he needs the natural life so I will be letting him go if that is okay? He has been in captivity for a few months and I'm worried he will die in the wild! But I do want him to go back to his own life. But it is very cold here! What season will I be able to let him go?
Spring would be the best time once things warm up. You honestly need a bit more info of how he was kept. Sometimes turtles may pick up diseases that may be harmless in captivity, but detrimental to a wild population when they come in contact with one another, but it should be fine.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Spring would be the best time once things warm up. You honestly need a bit more info of how he was kept. Sometimes turtles may pick up diseases that may be harmless in captivity, but detrimental to a wild population when they come in contact with one another, but it should be fine.
by his previous owner He was in a small tank with lots of disgusting water and pebbles for the ground and I don't think she had a hide for him and he was just able to try to dig in the pebbles for safety and so my friend. (The owner) gave him to me and I gave him a uvb/uva/heat light and a couple hides! I am worried cause the whole time I have had him I never saw him go on the land to bask by himself! I would sometimes put him on there to bask but he would just go back in the water and hide!

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Could you send me a pic of you enclosure so I can get an idea of what to make/buy for my baby musk turt?

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
by his previous owner He was in a small tank with lots of disgusting water and pebbles for the ground and I don't think she had a hide for him and he was just able to try to dig in the pebbles for safety and so my friend. (The owner) gave him to me and I gave him a uvb/uva/heat light and a couple hides! I am worried cause the whole time I have had him I never saw him go on the land to bask by himself! I would sometimes put him on there to bask but he would just go back in the water and hide!
They're real secretive baskets and great climbers. I've seen them scale trees hanging over water to bask. Usually early morning or evening