Filter question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
Alright guys, building my new turtle setup. The tank is filled up about half way full, and I have a slight problem! My filter's hose that sucks up the water doesn't reach the water. Now I tried using what I have done in the past for these situations, and used a garden hose section and some waterproof tape, but it's still not sucking it up. I'm wondering if it's an issue of strength to pull the water up?

My options are the following:

Buy a larger filter (The filter atm is the appropriate size per gallons of tank.)
Fill up another couple gallons. (Would this be too much? It's got 14 gallons of water in it atm, in a 30 gal tank. She's a small stinkpot, 3 inches or so, and I don't want it to be too overwhelming, if that's possible? I read in the wild the live in 10 inches to 2 feet of water.)
Or find another method of extending it?

Any help would be great.

As I said it's a 30 gallon tank with a 30 Gallon filter. Water filled to roughly 15 gallons. Turtle is a female stinkpot, about 3 inches.

iluvtorts

5 Year Member
Nixxy said:
Alright guys, building my new turtle setup. The tank is filled up about half way full, and I have a slight problem! My filter's hose that sucks up the water doesn't reach the water. Now I tried using what I have done in the past for these situations, and used a garden hose section and some waterproof tape, but it's still not sucking it up. I'm wondering if it's an issue of strength to pull the water up?

My options are the following:

Buy a larger filter (The filter atm is the appropriate size per gallons of tank.)
Fill up another couple gallons. (Would this be too much? It's got 14 gallons of water in it atm, in a 30 gal tank. She's a small stinkpot, 3 inches or so, and I don't want it to be too overwhelming, if that's possible? I read in the wild the live in 10 inches to 2 feet of water.)
Or find another method of extending it?

Any help would be great.

As I said it's a 30 gallon tank with a 30 Gallon filter. Water filled to roughly 15 gallons. Turtle is a female stinkpot, about 3 inches.

I would buy a different filter. I have kept aquatics for years. I use a magnum 350 on tanks over 20 gallons. You cant have too much filter for aquatic turtles as they can really foul the water. The largest tank that I have used one on is 6ft x 2ft with 10 to 12 inches of water. If you buy the filter now it will work as you get bigger tanks. We also used pvc to plumb it to the tank that I have with a custom top for turtles to come out of the water.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I currently don't have a canister filter..Is it really a must? =o

jonathan512

5 Year Member
Unless u like changeling the water every week it's a must lol I change my water about every month

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
For my old RES I didn't have one and my water stayed pristine for about a month.

Would the next size up of filter have a longer hose?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I use a Zoomed reptifilter 125 gph in 4 to 6 inch water for two or three spotted turtles (about same size as your stinkpot) per tank. These use the large bio bags which I fill with ammo carb and change weekly. Also use air stones to stir up sediment . This system has worked well for three seasons.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Thanks for the tips guys. Itort, is that a canister?

I'm going to order one online. The pricing on sites seems a lot better than local stores for the same items. (Around 15$ difference average..Local stores charge an arm and a leg for anything.)

LindaF

5 Year Member
You might find on line or in an aquarium store an extension tube/part

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
If you are trying to use the standard hang-on-the-back (HOB) filter for a turtle, those are practically useless for aquatic turtles. If you are absolutely diametrically opposed to using anything, I suggest getting the largest model you can find (that will fit the tank).

Canister filters are the best. They can be a little expensive initially, but well worth the investment.

The submersible, internal filters are okay, but only marginally. They are at least better than HOB filters.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I found that out, but luckily I can return it. I found out that due to the hanging in the back, the water is not high enough to be any use for a HOB. It's just out of the question unless I have the tank filled as if it was for a fish, and that's just not turtle friendly. (No basking area, etc.)

Would an in tank filter that has suction cups to stick to the side work? I've seen quite a few that are of appropriate size, strictly made for reptiles.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Nixxy said:
Would an in tank filter that has suction cups to stick to the side work? I've seen quite a few that are of appropriate size, strictly made for reptiles.

Like I said, they're okay....but when I had two juvenile sliders once, I had THREE of those type of filters in a 30-gal tank...and I was still cleaning it out every 7-10 days.

JediAaron

5 Year Member
Hey everyone. Wanted to chime in, even though its been a month or two since the last update. I have a 110 gallon tank, which is generally very full and I run a Fluval 404 I believe it (newer model is a 406, http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24082). Lots of filtration :) I've had it for ... at least 10 years, the only thing I've replaced (other than media of course) is an occasional impeller. Well worth the cash. :)

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Fluval 106 would be a great choice...one partsbare easily available and it has a one year warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.