Turtle Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Grand Forks
Hi! I have a 40 gallon breeder tank! I only want one turtle but what turtles can thrive in a 40 gallon from Baby to Adult? And what is the best type of filter to use?

jonathan512

5 Year Member
Musk turtles stay pretty small compared to other turtles , an adult musk turtle can live In a 20 gallon tank and be happy the rest of his life razorback musks are a cool breed :) u could probly keep up to 2 or 3 in a 40 gallon . Max size for musk turtles is usually 5 inches other turtles usually 10 for females

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I've always been a big fan of the 10 gallons per 1" of turtle rule. So, for a 40 gallon, your best bet would be something that stays in the 4-6" range as an adult... Namely, several of the common Mud and Musk turtle subspecies. These max out in the 4-5" range, and one adult would do great in a 40 gal. You would, ideally, need to start out with something smaller if you got a hatchling, though.

As for what filter to use? Research the different types/brands/models and figure out what would work best for you. The bottom line, with turtles, is to get something heavy-duty that can suck up a LOT of muck. Canister filters are often said to be the best for a high bio-load tank (i.e., a turtle tank), but I'm not much of an aquatics person so I have no personal experience here.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
jonathan512 said:
Musk turtles stay pretty small compared to other turtles , an adult musk turtle can live In a 20 gallon tank and be happy the rest of his life razorback musks are a cool breed :) u could probly keep up to 2 or 3 in a 40 gallon . Max size for musk turtles is usually 5 inches other turtles usually 10 for females

i agree, musk or mud turtles. They do need plenty of places to climb out though, as they tire quickly from swimming, esp if you have a high water flow filter on the tank creating a current.

Status
Not open for further replies.