Back from the Vet Follow-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creteloc

5 Year Member
Just back back from the vet I've chosen for Chekov. He was pretty upset at the RT's condition but he said the little guy is going to make it with some help. He thinks it's male but said it's still a little early.

His findings... malnourished and dehydrated. No shocker there.

His plastron at his neck is dead and will fall off within the next few weeks. Behind it is an infection that he showed me is oozing puss.

His shell that was bitten off at his leg isn't as bad as I thought. He used a dremel and smoothed out a rough edge that was poking his flesh when he walked.

He's missing 3 toenails and the vet isn't sure if they will grow back or not.

The dog attack wasn't as recent as I was told or the infection wouldn't have been that bad. Makes me so mad!

So Chekov had a shot today and will get 3 more, every 2-3 days, to help with the infection. I also have to put silver sulfadiazine on his torn shell after soaking him every day. The shell won't grow back but will heal over and not have bleeding flesh beneath it.

Chekov got his beak trimmed down nicely and should have an easier time eating. Right now he's hiding under a pile of Timothy Hay in his warm box.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
I agree with the above posts. Glad he is in your care now! Good luck to you both!!

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
I love rescue stories!! i would like to rescue another leopard in the next few years :) if there is any :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Good for you! Can't imagine what he has been going through with that abcess :(.
But I can imagine how his life is going to change ;)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Aww, he is in good hands now!! So glad he was seen by a veti

Creteloc

5 Year Member
I'm worried about Chekov. He didn't eat last night and didn't dig in the Timothy Hay or lay in his water dish. I wonder if he's traumatized by getting some of the abscess removed and his shell and beak dremeled down. Then he got a shot and had his nails trimmed. I turned on the heat light this morning and he's all the way back in his hide. I heard his toenails but that's it. No sign.

How can I help de-stress him if that's the problem?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Just give him time. There is no way to speed this up.
The best thing you can do is let him be except to follow the vet's instructions regarding soaking and shell treatment. Keep him warm (warm side) and hydrated, and he will heal, and gradually realize he is safe.
This is such a nice story.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
He'll take a few days to feel safe again, but don't worry, it's normal. You're doing great! :D

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
So glad to hear that he is going to be okay. I will still keep him in my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.