Back from vet Update.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm thankful that I live in an area that doesn't require heat lamps for my pets and I'm very sorry about your tort. Glad that his shell has improved and that you seem to have found a vet with some idea of how to treat a tortoise.

gingerbee

5 Year Member
Washington state
Thank you all for your replies!! The heat lamp did fall or shift down(the dreaded clamp slipped!!) still concerned because that started off the next scute to lift I don't know if it's rot or what. Then she's developed groves up on the top of shell that are between the scutes although it looks like new growth and hard shell is coming. Pic in my "sparky Pics ) thread. It's not extreme by any means just makes me nervous and guilty feeling

VBgecko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
I hear ya on the "guilt" …

Just try to do right by the little guys and it always seems like you have a handle on things all of a sudden something happens to make you feel out of your element and feel like a beginner again :/

Good to know Sparky is on the mend :)

gingerbee

5 Year Member
Washington state
I'm pretty upset about sparky's shell. Just when I think it's improving I notice other area s that seem to be lifting. The vet said she was better last week but I'm not so sure. She goes back in a week for next checkup.
I'm just not confident in the care she's receiving from me. I hate to re home but it may be her best option. She's so sweet and friendly I've had her eleven years so it's not going to be easy.
To late in the year to ship her and in the end I don't know if I can do it. ;(
Her enclosure is 8ft by 4 ft. 3 lights for heat including a exo sun and heat lamp. Uva strip light.
The enclosure is 3/4 covered.
If I decide to re home anyone on west coast who could rehab her this spring summer?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't get upset. I tried to warn you on your original thread. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about...I've had the same experience:

Once a scute starts to lift, it has lost its blood supply. That means it is no longer being fed and it will come off. Underneath is dead bone. You will NOT see hard new growth, because the new growth happens UNDER the white dead bone that you see under the lifted off scute.

I have had a Russian tortoise here with the whole carapace's scutes chewed off by a dog. The tortoise came out of the experience just fine. It takes a very long time, but eventually new scutes grow back UNDER THE OLD WHITE DEAD BONE.

There is nothing anyone else can do for your tortoise that you aren't doing. Sending him away isn't going to change the fact that you have to wait a very long time for this to all start to look better. In the mean time, the tortoise is fine. It's not going to kill him.2012 Rescue #11 e.jpg

Look closely at the picture. See the big crack on the right side, in fact all the cracks all around the 'skirt'? That means the tortoise is growing UNDERNEATH THAT OLD DEAD BONE AND THE NEW GROWTH IS BIGGER THAN the old dead bone, so it has caused it to crack. It will eventually all flake off and you will see a new shell underneath (and new bone under that, that you won't see).

So, calm down and just treat the tortoise with love, just like you have been. He's going to be fine.

Last edited:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
There are many here who would prob. do it, if she has special needs, make sure the person is experienced. Sorry to hear you may have to make this choice.

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
Take a deep breath, and give her some time to heal. You had her for 11 years and the vet has pointed out the things are getting better. I've seen my box turtle's shells improve over time after they had been injured. It's just a very slow process. Sometimes the universe gives us these opportunities to learn how to be there for others in their healing process, even when it's challenging for us. Hang in there. It'll all work out in time.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
YvonneG you explaned that awesome. Ive beed schooled !
Gingerbee, you have had Sparky for so long. Everyone has times
when they second guess themselves.
I like what YvonneG said, hang in there.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If bettter care can't be provided, and you are doing your best, and what the vet says. Then in all honesty what in the world can someone else do? I would throw in a few insults here, but I don't think they would do any good. :)
Keep the tortoise you idjit ( that is said with love).

VBgecko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Would you like some of my Xanax? *shakes bottle*

Trust me, I'm in the same boat as you … It's personally embarrassing for me to be surrounded by such experienced people and feel like I screwed up a tortoise that I've had for 8 years (and thought I knew enough about to properly care for).

But illness/injuries happen sometimes and with their slow metabolisms and slow … EVERYTHING, it's hard to stay patient sometimes. I think the illness with Scooter is a good education and it's making me a better keeper, just like this one you're going through with Sparky.

If the vet is confident and happy with the progress, then you're doing right by your tort. It just blows you don't get to see immediate responses to any of their treatments.

Just remember the tortoise and the hare metaphor: Being steadfast and patient is key to winning the race, whatever it may be in life.

I'm with dmmj on this one. You're an idjit if you give up your little guy ;)

gingerbee

5 Year Member
Washington state
I appreciate your response VBgecko!! I can see your doing so well with scooter!! The little buggers can fool you and a problem can show up slowly and be already out of control!!
I'm feeling better about things now thanks to you and others on the forum!! I really don't know how I'd ever be able to part with her!! Thanks again!!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Don't get upset. I tried to warn you on your original thread. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about...I've had the same experience:

Once a scute starts to lift, it has lost its blood supply. That means it is no longer being fed and it will come off. Underneath is dead bone. You will NOT see hard new growth, because the new growth happens UNDER the white dead bone that you see under the lifted off scute.

I have had a Russian tortoise here with the whole carapace's scutes chewed off by a dog. The tortoise came out of the experience just fine. It takes a very long time, but eventually new scutes grow back UNDER THE OLD WHITE DEAD BONE.

There is nothing anyone else can do for your tortoise that you aren't doing. Sending him away isn't going to change the fact that you have to wait a very long time for this to all start to look better. In the mean time, the tortoise is fine. It's not going to kill him.View attachment 108451

Look closely at the picture. See the big crack on the right side, in fact all the cracks all around the 'skirt'? That means the tortoise is growing UNDERNEATH THAT OLD DEAD BONE AND THE NEW GROWTH IS BIGGER THAN the old dead bone, so it has caused it to crack. It will eventually all flake off and you will see a new shell underneath (and new bone under that, that you won't see).

So, calm down and just treat the tortoise with love, just like you have been. He's going to be fine.
It is absolutely amazing that they can recover from something like this. How long do you think it will take before the tortoise looks "normal" or will he ever? doesn't seem to affect him in anyway? Activity levels, eating etc.?

gingerbee

5 Year Member
Washington state
Boy I'm not sure !!! My gal doesn't look as bad as the pictured tort. Maybe she will though we'll have to see. Her activity and eating ect. Are all normal. She's very active and alert. Thanks leigti for your reply. I see your in wa. We are in eastern wa also!!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Boy I'm not sure !!! My gal doesn't look as bad as the pictured tort. Maybe she will though we'll have to see. Her activity and eating ect. Are all normal. She's very active and alert. Thanks leigti for your reply. I see your in wa. We are in eastern wa also!!
Oh really? I am in Walla Walla. Where are you?