Backyard ground cover ideas

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
I am wanting to try something other than grass in my backyard. My backyard has only a small patch of grass that is no bigger than 20' in diameter. I was thinking about ripping it up and planting clover seeds but wanted to hear if any of you had other ideas. I'd like something that could tolerate some trampling and something that my redfoots could snack on too. What do you think?

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Is there a mix you'd recommend? I wanted something that could be mowed and walked on.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I think the mix that zero is referring to is the "Testudo mix" from tortoisesupply.com. Takes about 3 days for the seeds to sprout and a few weeks to be considered well established, in my opinion.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Wandering Jew, purslane, spider plants, pathos, grape ivy, Impatiens aloe

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
I didn't know wandering Jew was good. I'll have to add that to the landscaping. But I was really looking for grass alternatives. I bought some testudo mix. I'm going to smother some areas of my lawn with news paper and plant the mix there to see how it tolerates the lawn mower and being walked on. Clover is supposed to tolerate heavy grazing so I'd think it may be a good candidate too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have ornamental strawberry in my box turtle yard. It's a nice ground cover. There's also mint, creeping thyme, creeping rosemary, wintergreen and oregano. I also like to use dichondra. I had clover, but it is really invasive. You have to be careful with it or it will take over.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
So you think it will start popping up in my mulched beds? Creeping thyme looks awesome! But I wonder if they'd care to eat it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It gets eaten in the tortoise yards, however, the seeds spread to the pond and since nothing in the pond eats clover, it grows about 2' tall, very thick and quite the nuisance. I'm chopping it down with the weedeater at least once a month.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
The mix doesn't really tolerate walking on. It takes a few days for it to "spring" back up after my 1-year-old Sulcata walks though it.