Tortoise enclosure

PlanetGio

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta, Ga
upload_2018-11-11_23-16-7.jpeg
That white bag is for the bottom, so whenever I try to spray a little bit of water to keep the ground moisture, and the green things are grass seeds. I will buy a 75 gallon tank when it turns a year old, and than when it gets bigger I will put it in my backyard

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thanks for posting the pictures!

Sadly, there’s no way that will work. It’s way too small for a hatchling, and it would completely fall apart with the humidity you need.

Your tortoises should really be in an enclosure of 2x4 feet as a hatchling, with an absolute bare minimum of a 40 gallon tank. The 75 would work for a few months.

A Sulcata will need an 8x4 foot closed chamber, which will last it until it’s big enough to live outside(8-11 inches).

Be sure to read these links-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Where did you get the grass seeds? They’re likely coated in something, and can’t be used for tortoises.

kazjimmy

baldwin park
View attachment 257030
That white bag is for the bottom, so whenever I try to spray a little bit of water to keep the ground moisture, and the green things are grass seeds. I will buy a 75 gallon tank when it turns a year old, and than when it gets bigger I will put it in my backyard

Question for you. How much you buy your tortoise or turtle. How much would you spent on the equipment? Plz answer me so that I could help you build a inexpensive enclosure to get though this winter for your tortoise.

PlanetGio

Atlanta, Ga
Question for you. How much you buy your tortoise or turtle. How much would you spent on the equipment? Plz answer me so that I could help you build a inexpensive enclosure to get though this winter for your tortoise.
There is a woman that has a 75 gallon tank, she’s is going to sell it to me for 75 dollars.

kazjimmy

baldwin park
There is a woman that has a 75 gallon tank, she’s is going to sell it to me for 75 dollars.

1. Please answer my question and what do you have? Turtle or tortoise what species? Plz answer

2. Don’t buy the 75 gallon tank unless is free!

3. If you do not read the newbie menu,your animal is half way dead.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell

I wouldn't waste my money like that. A Christmas tree tote or the largest sized cement mixing tub are both larger and wider than the 75 gallon tank and will cost around $30-40.

Do your research. Don't settle for overpriced generic pet branded equipment sold from pet stores. More importantly, don't be in a rush to buy a tortoise. Have an indoor and outdoor enclosure fully setup and ready before buying a tortoise.

PlanetGio

Atlanta, Ga
I wouldn't waste my money like that. A Christmas tree tote or the largest sized cement mixing tub are both larger and wider than the 75 gallon tank and will cost around $30-40.

Do your research. Don't settle for overpriced generic pet branded equipment sold from pet stores. More importantly, don't be in a rush to buy a tortoise. Have an indoor and outdoor enclosure fully setup and ready before buying a tortoise.
I want a turtle too, would the 75 gallon tank be good for a painted turtle?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I want a turtle too, would the 75 gallon tank be good for a painted turtle?
A 75 would work for a painted turtle, but then your going to need good filtration and UVB lights, which will probably cost you more than the tank. This is my 75g for my juvenile sliders.IMG_20181007_121251762.jpg

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
A tortoise can start off in a 75g aquarium, but will soon outgrow it ... are you prepared to offer the tortoise the time and space and money and care it will demand for its whole life?

It's a big investment in all of the above for a whole long time ... if that idea seems intimidating than some other kind of pet might be more appropriate.

Jamie