Bad morning

Lexie

5 Year Member
I woke up this morning to my lil Hermann tortoise not moving...he's eyes are sunken in, and I know he has passed... I'm so sad, I feel like my heart just broke. He's been sick here and there, I've taken him to the vet and the vet said he was fine... Just to add more fiber in his diet, which I did. (I'll be going to a different vet next time)
I'm not really posting this to figure out what happened, or hear suggestions about what I should have done, or get asked questions about how I kept him (maybe another post just too sad now). I'm posting this to figure out what to do with him now. I don't know the proper way to remember him by. Any suggestions to those who have lost a tortoise themselves? I've put him in a wooden box, and set him outside, it's pretty cold out here so I figured it keep him better before I figure out what to do. I don't like him sitting out there all alone, but I don't know what else to do.

StuMac

5 Year Member
What a shame. So sorry to hear this. When my hamster and rabbit died, I decided to bury them in our garden. Our hamster was wrapped up in her wool bedding, to keep her warm, and I placed her in the front garden. Our rabbit was covered with her hay and straw bedding and placed in the back garden where she used to live. I then got some rabbit ornaments and placed them on top for company for her. The hamster has a skateboarding gnome to talk to. Not sure what you can do with the lil tort, just thought I would share my experiences with saying goodbye. :(

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
I'm sorry for your loss :(

I lost a baby Hermann not long after Xmas a couple years ago. We just so happened to get a turtle ornament that was the same size as him that Xmas, so now that is HIS ornament. Every year on the tree our little guy gets a place of honor front and center :)

If you want something more year round, you could plant something for him, or make a little garden in his honor. Or if you're low on yard space, decorate a rock with his name?