Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
I went with Hermy with the vet last week because there was crack in his beak
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Beak-problem--23530?pid=217599#pid217599

The vet told me it was dried skin that grew on his beak and over his lower part of beak. He just removed it :) Hermy has now a gorgeous little beak :D. He told me Hermy had what a lot of tortoises have, his dry skin does not shed, it stays on his head. He gave me a balm to put on Hermy's nose since Hermy has piece of dried skin on his nostrils, he put me to apply Bag balm? it is a baml for cows but he told me we could use it on all animals even us humans :).

Any opinons would be very appreciated :)

Thanks

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Aww Isa...poor Hermy. My husband has VERY dry skin on his elbows and he uses something for a cows utter. It really helps his elbows.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Bag Balm is a very soothing ointment used on chapped cow's udders. I also use it on my hands when they get very dry. It has many uses here including my horse's hooves.

bagbalm.jpg

That's interesting about the skin over the beak. It certainly didn't look like skin in the picture. So probably wasn't painful to Hermy at all. Glad it all worked out ok!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks Corey, Terry, Mary Anne and Yvonne :D. Grr My hands are very dry, I wish I could have used it but the vet touched Hermy and put his fingers everywhere in the balm to show me how the texture was interesting. So I guess I will have to buy another one for me lol :D.
I was so glad when he told me it was dry skin but I hate that it will come back (since Hermy's lower lips is longer and goes on the upper lips on one side). One assistand told Hermy he looked like an old man with his beak :-| ??!! (I am sure Hermy did not find it funny!) but the other assistant was very nice, he was talking to Hermy as if he was a baby and everytime he could, he put Hermy on his 4 legs :D. I am sure Hermy liked him better ;).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a couple of tortoises with beaks that grow like that too. I have to keep after them, filing them so they fit better. But I've never had the skin problem.

If you go to a feed store, they will sell you little cans of Bag Balm. They actually have teeny tiny cans for pretty cheap, so you can try it first before investing in a bigger can.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I've found other balms that I like better, but used to use bag balm all the time. It's funny here in town at the grocery store or wherever, because you walk down the row of pickups in the parking area and lots of them have a can of bag balm on the dash. It's just a good all-purpose ointment. I'm so glad that Hermy's beak problem was not what it appeared to be, and easily fixed.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks Edna :)
Yvonne, I already bought it from the vet, it cost me 15.02 for a 10 ounces (that is the only size they have), was it a reasonable price?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Bag Balm is basically just petroleum jelly with antibiotic ointment. For small amounts, you can just mix some ointment and Vaseline in your palm.

The stuff is great for any issue where dry or rough skin and possible infections is an issue- chapped or chaffed skin, some kinds of rashes, etc. Vaseline Lotion is just micro-blobs of the jelly with a thin coating around each glob and is considered a great lotion.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
woman use it too when they nurse..
its great for chapped lips..
when we had it at the feed store the tiny convienant jars cost just about as much as the big ones!

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Bag Balm works for everything. I've used it on dogs, horses, myself, even a neighbors goat when I was a kid!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I used lanalin (sp?) when I nursed. I wonder if it would be better. We later used the remainder of the jar to work in my son's baseball glove. I wonder about Emu oil to. It is pretty good and natural stuff

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh Isa I didn't know that Hermy had something wrong with his beak. I am so glad to hear that he is better now that he's seen the doctor. I think he should get a treat or something like it for being such a good patient. :D

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
So glad to hear Hermy is all right. I think Bag Balm is the same thing as Aquaphor. You can find it on any baby isle or pharmacy. It is very cheep for big tubs of It. I use it on my hands when they crack and bleed from the cold. It is also great for windburned faces. I am going to get some and add it to my Torty first Aid kit.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks Angi and Sarah for the info :) I really think I am going to buy one to use it myself :) My hands are very dry since I wash them all the time...
Thanks Candy :D he did get a huge treat :D Pumpkin and cactus pear, his favorites ---> happy Hermy. He was a very good patient and a very cute one ;) :D
Thanks Erin, since I already bought Bag balm I will put that on Hermy but maybe I will get Aquaphor for myself :D. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.