Baking day!!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
but maggie i've done all this and and i had hundreds of the bloomin things, i read how people don't change their substrate for months even years and yet i struggle to get through a month, :(
Then we have to figure out what you are doing wrong. I forget what age and species of tort you have...let's start there...

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
i've got an eastern hermanns 16mths old, kept in a vivarium, temps are 32-34 basking area and 24-26 cool area, humidity is 70-80%

Yaaapops

AZ
Fungus gnats are wee flying insects...they look like miniature mosquitos. They dart around on the ground, but when you go to poke at them, they fly off. Springtails don't fly - they *sproing!* when disturbed by deploying an itsy lever under the abdomen.

Phorid flies are likewise tiny, but have a more Fly-like appearance:
Okay so based on that I’m not sure I have either ….. :/ only a few of them actually fly around, there is always just a few little tiny black things flying around almost fly looking. Then when I mix around the soil you see all these little tiny whitish dots moving around everywhere back under the soil. Any idea ? They would try to lay eggs near my water dish and all die I think too

ZenHerper

New Jersey
The under-the-soil dot critters are springtails -- there are many types, shapes, sizes, and colors.

The flies may be phorid or fruit flies. If you have very good eyesight, you may see wee larvae. If your have very good eyesight. lol