Bamboo

Status
Not open for further replies.

moswen

5 Year Member
there is an african tortoise edible plant list floating around the forum somewhere, but i'm on a stupid apple computer and i can't figure out how to copy and paste or open up a second internet window so i'm not going to try to find it, but it lists either 1 or 2 species of bamboo that are edible, however i don't know what those two are lol. someone will pop on here who can find it for you!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
moswen said:
but i'm on a stupid apple computer and i can't figure out how to copy and paste or open up a second internet window

*gasp* bite your tongue
;)
Command + C = copy
Command + V = paste
And at least on my Macbook Command + T opens a new tab.

J. Ellis

5 Year Member
Texas
I would try to find someone who could give you the scientific name for it in the area. Some nurseries (not all) have qualified, knowledgable plant-people who should be able to help out!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If my memory is serving me correctly, bamboo and bermuda grass are in the same family. So I would say that it is edible.

J. Ellis

5 Year Member
Texas
After a little more research prompted by Yvonne's post..

Most botanists place bamboo in the family Poaceae. (1)

Bermuda grass (Cynodon dactylon) is in the family Poaceae. (2)

... but then again so is Sudan Grass (Sorghum bicolor) which can contain a high content of cyanogenic glycoside dhurrin, which releases hydrocyanic acid after consumption which could result in death. (3)

1: from http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph39.htm

Bamboos include over 1,000 species of woody, perennial grasses in more than 100 genera. Most botanists place them in the tribe Bambuseae within the grass family Poaceae, a large family of 10,000 species and at least 600 genera. Grasses range in size from small annuals (Poa annua) to towering, timber bamboo (Dendrocalamus giganteus). This is unquestionably the most important plant family, providing the majority of food for humans and their domesticated animals. The grasses are relatively recent additions to the earth's flora, having evolved only 30 to 40 million years ago, long after the demise of the dinosaurs. Vast grasslands provided food for the rising age of herbivorous mammals which in turn provided the food for a variety of carnivores. Some plants called "bamboo" are not grasses. The popular, indoor "lucky bamboo" grown hydroponically in vases of water is actually Draceana sanderana, a member of the lily family (Liliaceae). It is also placed in the agave family (Agavaceae) and dracena family (Dracenaceae) by some botanists. Heavenly bamboo (Nandina domestica) is a cultivated dicotyledonous shrub in the barberry family (Berberidaceae).

2: from http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantcd/cynodondact.htm

3: from http://books.google.com/books?id=C8...0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Poaceae toxic&f=false

I wouldn't worry about the bamboo, I just thought that it was interesting that something in the same family as Bermuda grass could be potentially lethal!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am assuming all bamboo leaves are edible or are the stalks also edible? I remember cory (spikethebest) saying that the ones at the zoo eat bamboo, considering how it grows if it is edible it might be worth it to buy a plant or two and have a steady supply of food available.

J. Ellis

5 Year Member
Texas
Depending on the variety, bamboo grows and reproduces very quickly. A friend of mine in Georgia gave us 3 stalks of "Black Bamboo" that turned into 10-12 stalks in the first year. I would say that the only part of the bamboo that is edible would be the inner-shoots. They are more tender. I believe it is the only part of the bamboo that Panda Bears eat.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
marty, that new pic.. is he sleeping? or not feeling well? I know you have had some concerns lately...

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
Manny torts don't like bamboo, But the leaf & young shoots are eaten usually.
When the shoot or Corm gets 2 to 3 feet only the larger torts can bite into it.
After they get much taller, I doubt any tort would be able to bite into them.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Okay I hope chevy likes bamboo because I have plenty also if anyone wants bamboo shoots I can probably ship them because sometime my dad digs up shoots because they are growing on our path or garden so if interested tell me I. Shoots come up in the spring summer time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
moswen said:
there is an african tortoise edible plant list floating around the forum somewhere, but i'm on a stupid apple computer and i can't figure out how to copy and paste or open up a second internet window so i'm not going to try to find it, but it lists either 1 or 2 species of bamboo that are edible, however i don't know what those two are lol. someone will pop on here who can find it for you!

Just push the little button with the picture of the apple on it and N at the same time for a New window.

"Stupid apple computer"??? Blasphemy!!!

laura808

5 Year Member
not able to leave comments for now
Marty333 said:
Laura said:
marty, that new pic.. is he sleeping? or not feeling well? I know you have had some concerns lately...

He is just sleeping lol I guess it looks kind of like a rememberence thing but it isn't I was just bored :p

So are the leaves edible?

yeah i got worried because it said "11\9\10" i was like omg WHAT. but yay now i no :p

Status
Not open for further replies.