Barf for cats

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austria
Hi,
does anyone here feed their cats raw food?
Until now I was feeding my cat only about 50% raw food but I want to completely stop giving him canned food because he can't stomach it anymore.

But I found quite different recommendations about nutritional needs and I'm afraid a "wrong" recipe might be harmful in the long term, that's why I want to use not only one recipe. At the moment I'm using two German calculators but I'm still looking for other sources of information. Are there any recipes or calculators you can recommend?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi,
does anyone here feed their cats raw food?
Until now I was feeding my cat only about 50% raw food but I want to completely stop giving him canned food because he can't stomach it anymore.

But I found quite different recommendations about nutritional needs and I'm afraid a "wrong" recipe might be harmful in the long term, that's why I want to use not only one recipe. At the moment I'm using two German calculators but I'm still looking for other sources of information. Are there any recipes or calculators you can recommend?
I've had cats my whole life and fed them commercial diet for past 21 years. I too have been thinking about raw, but for me this is all in beginning stages of research. I do know that commercial food has taurine (critical ingredients to cat's health). I'd be very interested in learning more on this subject

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Yes, feeding cats seems to be much more complicated than dogs, you either need lots of supplements (I'm using taurin, blood, liver, salmon, beer yeast, salt, different sources of calcium, vitamin E,...) or you have to feed whole prey animals (mainly small rodents like mice), but they are hard to get, so my cat only gets a chick every other day and the mice he (rarely) catches himself.

GeorgeUK

United Kingdom
I don't know much about the science behind it, but we sell it at the reptile/pet store that I work in sometimes.
I mainly deal with the snakes, but I know we sell a lot of the raw food & the people who buy it always come back each week for more.
I was advised by one such customer that since barf, his little old dog has a spring back in it's step :)