Basking bulbs

Suey

Location (City and/or State)
England
Happy new year to everyone ?just wondering what basking bulbs you all use. This is mainly to uk tortoise keepers as I don’t think we can get the bulbs you use inUSA. I changed set up last year to separate lights as before I used the Arcadia combined. I now have a basking bulb and the T5 tube but my basking bulbs aren’t lasting long at all. Thanks in advance xx

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I use the Arcadia flood too, just avoid the spots as they are too intense.
Are you using the bulbs in any sort of dome? The deep domes can cause the bulbs to get too hot and burn out quickly, I use a wide dome and they've lasted quite well in that.

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
I use the Arcadia flood too, just avoid the spots as they are too intense.
Are you using the bulbs in any sort of dome? The deep domes can cause the bulbs to get too hot and burn out quickly, I use a wide dome and they've lasted quite well in that.
hi Lynne,
do these bulbs work better with the dome?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I
hi Lynne,
do these bulbs work better with the dome?
I've not tried them without a dome, but because mine is set up in a room rather than a table or viv, I think that more heat is directed downwards and less heat is lost. I use a wide reflector dome which I think I bought form The Range or Pets at Home, but you can get them online.

Suey

England
Hi yes I have domes and bulbs hang straight down they are not tilted. My two are in an insulated small shed outside , just can’t understand them not working after a short space of time. I had a professional electrician set it all up so no electrical faults.

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
I

I've not tried them without a dome, but because mine is set up in a room rather than a table or viv, I think that more heat is directed downwards and less heat is lost. I use a wide reflector dome which I think I bought form The Range or Pets at Home, but you can get them online.
aaahhhh i see, maybe i dont need one then since my torts in a vivarium, i was just googling them as well lol

Suey

England
Just ordered flood light bulbs from pro rep I’ll see how long they last. I always try to have spares in, you never know.

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
Just ordered flood light bulbs from pro rep I’ll see how long they last. I always try to have spares in, you never know.
It's always a good idea to have spare bulbs, I get them from 'Internet Reptile' in fact I get all my stuff from there lol

Suey

England
What make of bulb to you buy from ‘ internet reptile’ and do they last ?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
aaahhhh i see, maybe i dont need one then since my torts in a vivarium, i was just googling them as well lol
That Arcadia Flood bulb is a good bulb. It actually will work best for you not in a dome. The flood style bulbs have built in reflectors so direct the energy downward on their own by design. Without a dome it will run cooler and last much longer. Heat buildup is the biggest enemy for the life of an incandescent bulb.

A dome is needed or useful for a regular A19 style bulb to direct more of the light, and heat downward and shade your eyes from the light when viewing.

Suey

England
Thank you very much , that makes sense. I thought I must be doing something wrong ?

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
That Arcadia Flood bulb is a good bulb. It actually will work best for you not in a dome. The flood style bulbs have built in reflectors so direct the energy downward on their own by design. Without a dome it will run cooler and last much longer. Heat buildup is the biggest enemy for the life of an incandescent bulb.

A dome is needed or useful for a regular A19 style bulb to direct more of the light, and heat downward and shade your eyes from the light when viewing.
Thank you very much for explaining this Mark, everyday i'm learning something new