Basking lamp

James9811

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi all

I currently have an incorrect setup, only learned this when I joined the tortoise table thanks to you guys! I have a 3 in 1 bulb, however my new setup is coming just before Christmas so not long!

So in my current setup which is a table, the little guy is really active, happy to climb onto our hands, loves climbing over his little obstacles, but recently (only sometimes) I’ll find him absolutely flat out asleep directly underneath the bulb, is this normal? One side of me thinks maybe he just wants warmth while he’s sleeping, but I just want to make sure and see if you guys have experienced this at all.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What are the temps, basking, over all temps and night temps?
Is he doing this just during the day or night too?
If all temps etc are correct then I wouldn't worry. We do see a few that for some reason want to sleep under the heat when all things are correct.

James9811

Newcastle upon Tyne
What are the temps, basking, over all temps and night temps?
Is he doing this just during the day or night too?
If all temps etc are correct then I wouldn't worry. We do see a few that for some reason want to sleep under the heat when all things are correct.
Hi!
So under and around the lamp ranges from 28 degrees to 33 degrees, and the other side of the table and his little home bit that he puts himself to bed in at night time drops to a minimum of 17 degrees at night and tends to be around 19-21 during the day. The main bulk of the area is late 20’s

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
During the day temps should range 75-80F except basking area should be 96-100 F Night temps only can be down into the 60'sF.
Your basking area is fine but I would get the rest of the enclosure areas to 80F.
This may be the reason he's under the basking.

James9811

Newcastle upon Tyne
During the day temps should range 75-80F except basking area should be 96-100 F Night temps only can be down into the 60'sF.
Your basking area is fine but I would get the rest of the enclosure areas to 80F.
This may be the reason he's under the basking.
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply! I see, I’m not too far off then, the night temps are perfect, the outer areas could be a bit warmer so I’ll try lowering the lamp and central positioning it more

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have a question...why the concern about his basking? Isn't that what the "basking" light is for? Basking? The ambient light is 2 bulbs in the ceiling...what am I missing Barb?