Basking lamp

Kbou

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi I have two 1 year old Hermann tortoises. Iv only had them 2 days. They don’t seem to like sitting under there basking lamp is this something I should be worried about? They would rather sit in the cool area and in the hide. Basking lamp is 32-35 and cool area is 23.27.
The room there is always around 20-24 anyway. Advice please

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. The first bit of advice is to separate them. Tortoises should never live in pairs. Groups of juveniles can work, but not pairs.

What size is the enclosure? What size are the tortoises? I read one year, but that could be four inches or one inch.
What type of bulbs are you using?
Is there a UV bulb? What type?
What type of substrate?

With some more info we will be able to help you get it figured out.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome! As Tom stated above they need separating, tortoise of any species should NEVER be housed in pairs under any circumstances, they’re incredibly territorial, behaviours that look cute to us really aren’t, following one another and sleeping huddled up is all bullying the the tortoise world, you’ll eventually see more extreme signs of aggression. Anyone who tells you pairs are fine, have no idea what they’re talking about.

Small groups are ok when there’s lots of land and the correct male to female ratio.

Some more information would be great if you’re willing to answer toms questions, a pic of your full set up would be good too!🙂

In the meantime, feel free to check this thread out, it covers appropriate equipment, levels etc, hopefully it comes in useful🐢💚

Kbou

Uk
Thankyou for your reply. I was told they would be fine until there older. I have a 4ft table but they seem to be under there lamp at the moment. I have the mercury vapour lamp